CRC error on boot

XtuRmN8r

Limp Gawd
So I was watching a movie in mplayer, and the screensaver kicked in, so I moved the mouse and tried to get out of it, at which point that program froze up, so I decided to log out and try to fix the situation. At that point, it gave me a weird login screen I'd never seen before (it had a yellow flower if I recall correctly) and the whole thing rebooted.

I can get to GRUB, and I then when I choose linux options, it says CRC error - system halt, and if I try to boot winxp, the comp reboots.

Does this sound like a bad HDD, or something less sinister? I can't hear any grinding or whining sounds from the hdd, and it's only like 6 months old. Should I just reinstall and forget anything that was on the linux partitions? Are there any other constructive steps I should take?

Thanks

crc errors are bad, mkay? I say the drive is toast. Hook it up to another system and run chkfs on it, see what it kicks up.

The drive lives, but I don't think I'll be using it anymore.. I put it in the HTPC, and I was able to see the fat32 partition, and then used explore2fs to see the linux partition. Why the hell would linux develop a CRC error rendering it and windows unbootable? :confused:

Was the cable half unplugged? If not, something ate your bootsector, probably.

It does sort of sound like the drive chose to die while the movie was playing, and you felt the results when it tried to reload things after canceling the screensaver.

So, got my shpankity new WD3200 SATA 16MB cache drive by fedex today, and I just popped her in. I threw in my trusty Ubuntu 5.10 CD, and choose enter for the default installation.

Then it says to me: Uncompressing linux, CRC Error, System Halted. Just like it did when the other drive ceased working. This sounds less like a dead disk, now more like something else.. Dead mobo? What do I do next? (side note: it's a Lanparty Ultra-D, and it includes Memtest 86+, and when I run it, my RAM throws up errors, but I assumed that it was somehow related to the hard drive)

Incidentally, I never did the chkfs idea, because I didn't have a live CD, would it be included? What if I can't get the live CD to boot? is there an equivalent Winxp prog that would sort that?

Thanks!

XtuRmN8r said:
... it includes Memtest 86+, and when I run it, my RAM throws up errors, but I assumed that it was somehow related to the hard drive)

After that I would really suspect the ram (and I guess beyond that, points inbetween). Try testing individual sticks to figure out if you have a bad one. Bad ram could easily cause lockups, errors booting, corrupted files, and the like.

It was the RAM. Good Call. I will be calling Corsair to get some replacements for them.

Back