Well, my friend was having some strange issues with his computer, revolving around severely-reduced clockspeeds. Turned out the culprit was the ASUS AI Booster, which I had him disable. His AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1ghz, 10.5x200) was severely underclocked (to roughly 1ghz).
However, upon setting everything right, he got an error:
xxxxxxxx: The system has recovered from a serious error.
xxxxxxxx: screen turned blue
xxxxxxxx: buzzing noise [from speakers]
xxxxxxxx: restarted automatically
Well, despite the blue screen and buzzing noise, I thought it might be a heat problem. I asked him to check his temps in Everest:
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Maxim MAX6646 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V600 / A7V880 / A7V8X-X / K8N / SK8N
Temperatures
Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU 46 °C (115 °F)
GPU 45 °C (113 °F)
GPU Ambient 38 °C (100 °F)
SAMSUNG SP0812C 21 °C (70 °F)
Cooling Fans
CPU 3902 RPM
Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.71 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 12.22 V
Voltages are fine, CPU's hot...but notice the vcore! I thought this might be an error. I had him check his BIOS. No, that's actually close to the lowest value it can get to (lowest being 1.6 or so, I think he said). He actually said it goes higher than that. I'm still kind of suspicious...is that even possible?
Anyway, that's about the size of it. Blue screen, buzzing noise from speaker and a restart, extremely high voltage (with everything else on stock speeds, including the RAM, which was underclocked to 133mhz, though I had him set back to 200mhz). Any ideas? I don't think blue screens are caused by overheating, but that's the only thing I can think of (not a terribly hardware-savvy guy beyond the basics, really). [Edit] Or actually, aren't blue screens caused by RAM? Could the raising of his RAM from 266 (it actually listed the effective speed of the RAM, not the actual speed) to 400 have caused some instability? I recommended he tone it down to 333mhz and see if he still gets a blue screen...otherwise, I'm at a loss.
[Edit 2] Well, the 333mhz RAM solution seemed to work, though admittedly his games are running a little slower (though, that's to be expected). However, since I believe he does have DDR400 RAM that's supposed to run at 400mhz (I checked: yes, he does), I can imagine he would want it to run that fast. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.
However, upon setting everything right, he got an error:
xxxxxxxx: The system has recovered from a serious error.
xxxxxxxx: screen turned blue
xxxxxxxx: buzzing noise [from speakers]
xxxxxxxx: restarted automatically
Well, despite the blue screen and buzzing noise, I thought it might be a heat problem. I asked him to check his temps in Everest:
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Maxim MAX6646 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V600 / A7V880 / A7V8X-X / K8N / SK8N
Temperatures
Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU 46 °C (115 °F)
GPU 45 °C (113 °F)
GPU Ambient 38 °C (100 °F)
SAMSUNG SP0812C 21 °C (70 °F)
Cooling Fans
CPU 3902 RPM
Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.71 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 12.22 V
Voltages are fine, CPU's hot...but notice the vcore! I thought this might be an error. I had him check his BIOS. No, that's actually close to the lowest value it can get to (lowest being 1.6 or so, I think he said). He actually said it goes higher than that. I'm still kind of suspicious...is that even possible?
Anyway, that's about the size of it. Blue screen, buzzing noise from speaker and a restart, extremely high voltage (with everything else on stock speeds, including the RAM, which was underclocked to 133mhz, though I had him set back to 200mhz). Any ideas? I don't think blue screens are caused by overheating, but that's the only thing I can think of (not a terribly hardware-savvy guy beyond the basics, really). [Edit] Or actually, aren't blue screens caused by RAM? Could the raising of his RAM from 266 (it actually listed the effective speed of the RAM, not the actual speed) to 400 have caused some instability? I recommended he tone it down to 333mhz and see if he still gets a blue screen...otherwise, I'm at a loss.
[Edit 2] Well, the 333mhz RAM solution seemed to work, though admittedly his games are running a little slower (though, that's to be expected). However, since I believe he does have DDR400 RAM that's supposed to run at 400mhz (I checked: yes, he does), I can imagine he would want it to run that fast. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.