Crazy reservoir leakage....

RickyJ

Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
1,003
I'm still having reservoir issues, so my loop is still laid out on my floor. I'm moving this Sunday, so I'd like to have this installed before then.

Anyways, the res doesn't leak when it's running, or after a few minutes after turning the pump off. When I do turn the pump off, I get a couple drops leaking past the teflon tape on the barbs in my res. This is a cylindrical acrylic res.

I'm still pretty baffled by this. The barbs each have 4 wraps of teflon tape, and are screwed into the res properly. It only leaks as soon as the pump is turned off, and only lasts for a few minutes.

Does anybody have any insight into this? Any suggestions? :confused:
 
Ok, maybe i can help, since i've kinda had a similar problem, cept with a pump.

1. Get a rubber "o-ring" of proper size for the barbs ($0.39 from Hardware Store)
2. Just when you think you've got to much thread tape, add a couple more turns.

When i did those 2 steps, it stopped my leaks.

HPIM0234.sized.jpg

HPIM0235.sized.jpg
 
That's an awesome idea! There's not much of a shoulder on these brass barbs, so maybe I can find a nice big washer to help out. I'll hit up a hardware store tomorrow, after picking up some more RAM.

I've burned through 5 cobalt coated drill bits (rated for stainless steel) trying to cut holes in the top of my case for the rad. Finally got it done last night. It's a good thing the cashiers at the local everything-store are hot. ;) "Weren't you in here half an hour ago buying drill bits?" :cool:
 
gclg2000 said:
yeah baby i was....

Wanna get drilled?
I guess it's a good thing that that store is less than a 2 minute walk from my new place. :cool:
I was surprised she remembered me, since I went to a different chick's till the time before...
 
I'd go easy on the teflon tape. The typical thread is NPT, for tapered. So if you have to much tape around it, you don't get as many threads to engage as you need. Two layers of tape should be plenty, all the tape does is fill the gap between the tip of the tooth and the bottom of the groove in the thread. The main sealing action is between the sides of the thread, the tape just prevents liquid from following the thread "screwing" its way around.
 
whitewale said:
I'd go easy on the teflon tape. The typical thread is NPT, for tapered. So if you have to much tape around it, you don't get as many threads to engage as you need. Two layers of tape should be plenty, all the tape does is fill the gap between the tip of the tooth and the bottom of the groove in the thread. The main sealing action is between the sides of the thread, the tape just prevents liquid from following the thread "screwing" its way around.
Yeah, I know it's not really meant for taking up space. I talked to the manufacturer about it, and he said that there's a chance the holes in the res are slightly too big. He said he'd replace it if it kept leaking, and I send him more emails about the problem. It's a long weekend this weekend, so he's probably off enjoying it.

I wanted to leave work early so I could go get all this stuff, and get it working tonight. Tomorrow would make a very nice install day.

The barbs do go in enough as it is, so there's no problem there.
 
Back
Top