Crazy PWM Temps

Ou7k4st

Weaksauce
I built this rig about 2 weeks ago.
Today I started running into some crashing issues, games were locking up and I got a couple bsod's.
So i started checking into things and noticed my pwm temps were looking alittle high.
So I fire up OCCT and watch the temps... and pwm hits 82C and then I BSOD!

My setup is:
Abit IP35-e
[email protected] 333x9 with a Big Typhoon
G.Skill DDR800

My system(37C while OCCT running), cpu, and gpu temps are all good. CPU stays under 60C. Everything is at stock volts

Well right now I set back to stock settings and am rerunning OCCT, but this board should easily do 300fsb... Not even 10 minutes in PWM is at 75C

I am thinking about RMAing it. I guess my other option is to mod it.. maybe put some as5 on the heatsinks, add a fan or something. My problem with that is I don't wanna do anything to void the warrenty because this is worrying me. Which heatsink on the mobo goes to the PWM? I'm not sure on this.

Question, does newegg allow you to return a part for cash back incase I decide to just get another mobo? Or is it just return for same part.

I've tried to leave the computer on overnight twice and both times I woke up to it rebooted, I am not sure if this is related

Just let the computer idle for 20 minutes and pwm is still at 50C... bah... I definitly think this is what is causing the crashes/bsod
This only happened a couple times untill today, and it is warmer today then it has been

I wonder if its worth modding this board or should i just get another. I definitly want to go higher then 3.0 which would likely lead to voltage increases.

82C is high but, not really hot. PWM max temp is 120C.

this is a known problem with the ABIT IP35 series mobos, just put is fan on the blue HSF next to the IO ports.

What is probably causing you to reboot is the vcore drop. The hotter the PWM's get the lower the vcore gets. The hot PWMs are not actually causing your mobo to reboot, but they are behind the problem.

That does make sense... may have to do the fan
If I switch boards, anyone suggest a board without so many... known issues? I have a sumsung f1 which I have heard they don't mesh well with a 680i chipset. Asus make a reliable p35 board with o/c potential?

82c isn't that high at all. I see low-mid 80s every day. I've seen as high as 104c when running Prime95 for testing... And that's with more than adequate cooling, 100% stable @ 24/7 F@H SMP loads.

I'd start looking for other sources of the crashing if I were you, you're still *far* under the safe limits for the P35 chipset/PWMs. Have you checked the PSU rails w/ a DMM, or checked to see if the memory is good (MemTest+)? Installed any new peripherals/drivers/etc recently (ie: just prior to this issue cropping up).?

Simple enough way to check if it really is the PWM temps doing you in - open the side of the case and point a large fan at the mobo. If that works, grab a low speed 120mm, attach nearby with zip ties or something, and voila (or ghetto rig a cardboard duct on the exhaust if you have one adjacent to the mobo PWM area).

[edit] FWIW, I'm registering 91c right now (uGuru), at 10:30pm...That's w/ Vista's sidebar gadget telling me it's 70F in Santa Monica right now (probably a touch higher than that though, windows open or not). That reminds me..I need to head to OSH or something tomorrow to get some gardening crap - I *really* should to the bolt mod for my board. It's stable, but still, I'd like to drop the temps some.

83C just seems high.. i dunno. Everything else runs at a much lower temp.
Nothing new is installed, memory tests fine.

82C is high but, not really hot. PWM max temp is 120C.

this is a known problem with the ABIT IP35 series mobos, just put is fan on the blue HSF next to the IO ports.

What is probably causing you to reboot is the vcore drop. The hotter the PWM's get the lower the vcore gets. The hot PWMs are not actually causing your mobo to reboot, but they are behind the problem.

I believe this is a known problem with most boards when mated with Quads
Most peeps I've read about use some sort of active cooling on the PWM be it H2O or fan over.
I've had similar issues with my EVGA 680i.

Back