CRAZY memory incampatibility issues with Asus boards

CC_Pirate

Limp Gawd
I had some hardware issues and never made it through Vista setup on a new computer Im building http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031805924#post1031805924

After a while I realized that it was memory related. I ran MemTest86 and it stopped with lots of errors after a few seconds.

Ive been mainly using a an Asus Maximus Formula board, but I also tried Asus P5E earlier with the same problems. I have tried Crucial Ballistix Memory, OCZ ATI Certified memory, and Corsair XMS memory, I know that all of the memory tried works fine in other computers (except for the ATI Cert. mem which is brand new).

I tried flashing to the newest BIOS for both boards (903 for the Maximus). I tried setting the DDR voltages at Auto, 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2, no change. Tried different slots.

I am baffled by these problems, especially the fact that it happens to TWO boards!
Whats going on? Do I really need to RMA both boards??

Thanks

I can help you here I THINK! I myself have just went through this HELL, and it is so frusturating. I too am using the Maximus Formula board on the 903 BIOS. The issue is with the dividers. The maximus has severe issues using the 200/266 dividers, SO DONT USE ANY MEM SPEED ON THOSE 2 DIVIDERS:) Stick with the 333/400 dividers, and use no less then 1.47 NB Volts on the X38. I came from using a P5K-DLX that needed only 1.4NB V and could run my ram @ DDR1061 @ 2.1Vdimm. Until I found out this issue with the dividers I was stuck at DDR1019 on the 333 divider, so basically my ram was underclocked (using Ballistix PC8500). I decided to "TRY" the 400 strap, but the slowest mem speed to choose from at my FSB (424) was DDR1130:cool: I tried it, and the sucker posted and booted just fine. I memtested the ram and all was fine. Went back into the BIOS set the timings to 5-5-5-8 2.1Vdimm (this board OVERVOLTS EVERYTHING so 2.1V in BIOS is 2.226:eek:) and I even set transaction booster to enabled level "0" and still good. My Latency @ DDR1130 5/5/5/8 2T is 49ns.......... Try what im telling you on your ballistix sticks, as it might very well work. Oh ya, I have my NB @ 1.49V

I can help you here I THINK! I myself have just went through this HELL, and it is so frusturating. I too am using the Maximus Formula board on the 903 BIOS. The issue is with the dividers. The maximus has severe issues using the 200/266 dividers, SO DONT USE ANY MEM SPEED ON THOSE 2 DIVIDERS:) Stick with the 333/400 dividers, and use no less then 1.47 NB Volts on the X38. I came from using a P5K-DLX that needed only 1.4NB V and could run my ram @ DDR1061 @ 2.1Vdimm. Until I found out this issue with the dividers I was stuck at DDR1019 on the 333 divider, so basically my ram was underclocked (using Ballistix PC8500). I decided to "TRY" the 400 strap, but the slowest mem speed to choose from at my FSB (424) was DDR1130:cool: I tried it, and the sucker posted and booted just fine. I memtested the ram and all was fine. Went back into the BIOS set the timings to 5-5-5-8 2.1Vdimm (this board OVERVOLTS EVERYTHING so 2.1V in BIOS is 2.226:eek:) and I even set transaction booster to enabled level "0" and still good. My Latency @ DDR1130 5/5/5/8 2T is 49ns.......... Try what im telling you on your ballistix sticks, as it might very well work. Oh ya, I have my NB @ 1.49V

Thanks a bunch for the info, but Im afraid that did not help solve my problem.'
I didnt get a chance to try this on the Ballistix, but in the OCZ ones. I tried the strap at 333 and 400 (had some trouble booting at 333 but got it eventually), but the same stuff happens in MemTest. Also boosted the NB volt and left DRAM volt at 2.1. Didnt touch the DRAM frequency,

What the hell is this??

edit: Tried it on the Ballistix too, same bullshit

Thanks a bunch for the info, but Im afraid that did not help solve my problem.'
I didnt get a chance to try this on the Ballistix, but in the OCZ ones. I tried the strap at 333 and 400 (had some trouble booting at 333 but got it eventually), but the same stuff happens in MemTest. Also boosted the NB volt and left DRAM volt at 2.1. Didnt touch the DRAM frequency,

What the hell is this??

edit: Tried it on the Ballistix too, same bullshit

Are you saying you dont know what DRAM frequency is? That is the speed in MHz at which your ram is operating at. Tell me this and lets see if I can get you going:
1) What FSB are you operating at?
2) What strap are you selecting in the BIOS?
3) What frequency is your ram currently at?
4) What timings are you using when you stick in the ballistix ram?
5) Which color slots are you using?

(I recommend using the blue slots, as when I tried the white slots, they required an increase in Vdimm to function at the same speeds as the blue slots.)

Hehe no, I know very well what DRAM frequency is, I was just saying that I didnt know what speed it ran at when I tested it earlier because it was set to Auto in BIOS.
I tried it at pretty much all dividers eventually I believe.'

'As for your Qs:
1) What FSB are you operating at?
266Mhz for my Q6600
2) What strap are you selecting in the BIOS?
Tried Auto, 333, and 400
3) What frequency is your ram currently at?
Tried all but mostly 1:1, so 533
4) What timings are you using when you stick in the ballistix ram?
Auto
5) Which color slots are you using?
Tried all, although the whites right now (as in today) I believe.

thanks

dont use auto for the main mem timings. Set Vdimm to 2.1 (board overvolts so be careful) set the main timings to 5/5/5/12 35 2T (board might be forcing 1T if you have this setting set to "AUTO" that would explain all your mem issues. If you go to hardware monitor in the BIOS, it will show you all the volt settings.

Thanks again.
I tried all your settings, still no luck. I know theres nothing wrong with the ballistix. ITs gotta be the board.
But maaaan.

Thanks again.
I tried all your settings, still no luck. I know theres nothing wrong with the ballistix. ITs gotta be the board.
But maaaan.

Do you have "memory remap" enabled? if so, disable it.... Might very well be the board, but there might be something we are over looking......

I may be blind, but I can't find the memory remap setting.
Where is it in BIOS?

Thanks

Try to disable usb legacy support in bios. My Striker Extreme has issues with memtest too. No issues with memtest+ (=plus).

Thanks for the tip, already tried that.

I gave up and I'm RMAing the board now. This was crazy. I had no issues with the SE board in my sig. This one was a complete mess.

Thanks for all help

Back