Crazy Hi-Tech Elevated Bus Concept

HardOCP News

[H] News
This elevated bus concept looks cool as hell but you know for a fact that it would never work. The lawsuits would fly the first time someone tried switching lanes in front of this thing and ended up getting rear ended by a bus the size of a city block.

Get stuck under it right when you need to make a turn, f that. Also it stops all traffic under it when it stops to let people off the bus, yeah great idea shutdown 2 lanes of traffic instead of pulling off to the side and out of the way. Also wonder how it would f up bikers.

Won't work in the deep south...have you seen what bubba fucks put in the back of their pick-ups??!!

This would only be feasible if there were vehicle size limits, the city were built around the concept (as someone above said) and it was all done by autonomous driving. Otherwise, pipe dream.

Sure they'd have to redesign the city around it, but just think of the budget increases they'd get in order to do that! I'm sure there are plenty of city employees that think this is a fantastic idea.

(btw, CCTV and this demo is for "Communist Central TV) and this will for sure work!... IN CHINA~!

if you change lane and got rear ended, the CCP/CPC (Communist Party of China) will make you pay the damage for the glorious people's bus, if you cant pay, well, you will be paying with your organs ...forcefully)

I swear I've seen that bus concept years ago. BTW, it's not a bus it's a train.

What is this? A bus for ants? How can we expect people to take public transportation if they cant fit inside the bus? The bus has to be at least....3 times bigger than this.

A leviathan of a vehicle that rides above and around multiple rows of traffic is a terrible idea.

Said leviathan being made in China? I would never near a road it ran on.

Ever.

Anybody ever seen a public transportation system(city buses) that actually makes money and could stay afloat without subsidies (wealth redistribution)?

Me either.

This elevated bus concept looks cool as hell but you know for a fact that it would never work IN THE USA. The lawsuits would fly the first time someone tried switching lanes in front of this thing and ended up getting rear ended by a bus the size of a city block.

FTFY.

But seriously, This is a REALLY cool concept, and I can easily see this being a 'thing' in future cities.

Problem here is that it's much more economical to simply remove a lane of car traffic and call it "bus only lane".

Another problem is that while this may work great in multi-lane roads of cities, around here not many buses travel ONLY on those roads and very often will drive down residential streets, so the question would be if there is enough bus traffic in the downtown/whatever part of a city to justify something like this.

We have bus only lanes in some parts of downtown Las Vegas. This would work for those lanes IF it was to facilitate additional parking. IE: not covering a normal thoroughfare, but just parking spaces.

Problem here is that it's much more economical to simply remove a lane of car traffic and call it "bus only lane".

Another problem is that while this may work great in multi-lane roads of cities, around here not many buses travel ONLY on those roads and very often will drive down residential streets, so the question would be if there is enough bus traffic in the downtown/whatever part of a city to justify something like this.

I personally think "Bus" is a bad name for this. This is more like a heavy tram. Basically moving a LOT of people through the main city loop. If planned correctly (I.E, designed around areas that actually NEED road congestion releif) this would seriously improve city accessibility.

Seems more like a street car rather than a bus. Might work in a city with existing street cars if it were only one or at most 2 segments long.

Yeah, I saw this thing earlier, might be an interesting concept if all the cars are self driving also.

Pretty impractical atm to me.

Not going to work. Imagine being stuck under that thing? You cannot see beyond it to prepare for disasters and emergencies. What about when it turns? Over head power lines? Big rigs & Buses cannot fit underneath them. It'll cause more traffic jams than it will alleviate. Now if all other vehicles are removed or prohibited, then I can see it might work.

The serious question you need to ask is, how is this better than a monorail or other
Anybody ever seen a public transportation system(city buses) that actually makes money and could stay afloat without subsidies (wealth redistribution)?

Me either.

Which is fine, because the alternative is more cars on the road, which is a far larger drag on the economy.

Me either.

Because it's not about moving people in the most cost efficient manor, it's about power and control.
Private cars don't have union bus drivers that support the union that bribes I mean donates to elected officials.
Years ago I saw a study of one of the local light rail lines, and the fares collected didn't even cover the cost of the security guards, let alone the cost of building and running the rail system.

Because it's not about moving people in the most cost efficient manor, it's about power and control.
Private cars don't have union bus drivers that support the union that bribes I mean donates to elected officials.
Years ago I saw a study of one of the local light rail lines, and the fares collected didn't even cover the cost of the security guards, let alone the cost of building and running the rail system.

Its not about cost efficiency at all, its about infrastructure. A highly funded public transport system helps improve the ability of workes to get to their jobs faster and more consistently while allowing them to get home (read: allow them to spend the money they earn) more quickly as well. Its an investment into the economy. Its actually a pretty basic idea and not a difficult one to grasp... or at least it seems that way to me.

Its not about cost efficiency at all, its about infrastructure. A highly funded public transport system helps improve the ability of workes to get to their jobs faster and more consistently while allowing them to get home (read: allow them to spend the money they earn) more quickly as well. Its an investment into the economy. Its actually a pretty basic idea and not a difficult one to grasp... or at least it seems that way to me.

No freaking way does it make it faster to get anywhere. The buses stop like every 1/2 mile to drop off/pick people up.

I used to ride a bus every once in a while before I had my drivers license.

To get from one side of town to the other, it literally took over 2 hours. If I was driving a car, that same distance would have taken about 30 minutes. If I rode my bicycle that far, it would have probably take me maybe 1.5 hours.

And yes, I used to ride my bike all over the place, so I know about how long it would take me.

And to top it off, you have to take 10-20 or more minutes to walk to a bus stop unless you live really close to one.

It is literally way faster to ride a bicycle than to ride a bus.

No freaking way does it make it faster to get anywhere. The buses stop like every 1/2 mile to drop off/pick people up.

I used to ride a bus every once in a while before I had my drivers license.

To get from one side of town to the other, it literally took over 2 hours. If I was driving a car, that same distance would have taken about 30 minutes. If I rode my bicycle that far, it would have probably take me maybe 1.5 hours.

And yes, I used to ride my bike all over the place, so I know about how long it would take me.

And to top it off, you have to take 10-20 or more minutes to walk to a bus stop unless you live really close to one.

It is literally way faster to ride a bicycle than to ride a bus.

Well, Having lived in both the US and Australia, I can tell you without a doubt, the US public transport system is completely and objectively terrible by comparison to the AU. And AU's system is considered useless trash to some other countries. I completely agree that it is faster in every way to provide your own transport in the US. However, I stated above that:

A highly funded public transport system helps improve the ability...

Highly funded, properly planned and appropriately integral systems can reduce the number of cars on the road by half, or even more. And lets face it: most roads can't get any wider, but more and more people are going to try and fit on them.

This elevated bus concept looks cool as hell but you know for a fact that it would never work. The lawsuits would fly the first time someone tried switching lanes in front of this thing and ended up getting rear ended by a bus the size of a city block.

Did you notice this is NOT in sissy USA or Europe right?

Lawsuit? :ROFLMAO:

If the Party decides this is good for the country to improve their pockets, I mean the air quality, then this will happen,

Sure it will not work in our NIMBY (not in my back yard) culture, but in China, the right things just gets done. Tu backyard, es mi backyard!

Oh, this would work, in China. If a motorist hit the streetcar they would be tried for damaging government property.

Wow, how can they call this a bus when it is on rails? Train? Trolley?

Makes me thing of the local city government that has a fleet of buses and fixed them up to (sort of) resemble trolleys. Then started calling them trolleys. :facepalm:

You know people would have a heart attack that thing rolled up over them all of a sudden and darkened the sky. And how is this a bus?

I did not read the article but it could perhaps be economical if it fit the width of the one way side of a road/highway and then either went above or below the highway to allow people on or off. This would eliminate collision other than height - a strict height limit would need to be enforced of course.

A large part of monorail, etc. systems is the cost of land to run it on.

Might be more practical for city to city daily transfers or from one end to the other of larger cities. Essentially a train over highways. Maybe where city density is already high and land is an issue.

remember laughing at this idea?! well they actually made it.

Just as I had suspected: It doesn't travel on 'normal' roads, it travels on a wide circuit, So you don't have to worry about this thing making tight turns. Great idea, and I hope it gains more traction.

Back