Crazy GTA 4 Usage !!!!

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,767
Look at the system resources GTA 4 is using

around 3700 MB RAM, 3700MB Page File, look at the four cores being used . I guess its time for 8GB RAM

I enabled the highest settings by putting -norestrictions -novblank -nomemrestrict in the commandline.txt file on a 512Mb HD4870. So now I can play with everything high, not worrying about the memory restrictions

Capture019.jpg
 
What a piece of shit game, it doesn't look better then Far Cry 2 or Crysis.

And people thought Crysis was coded like shit :X
 
Although many things can be happening at the same time wherever the action is, there is no way that this game needs that much juice to run. But on the other hand i would like to see this game in all its glory with AA and all the eye candy - playable that is. Too bad i get nauseous after short while of roaming around for some reason.
 
At least it looks as if its using all cores properly, instead of just one or two.
 
Indeed, a true piece of shit game. If it let us at least enable fucking anti aliasing, it'd be semi worth upgrading all that stuff to see. As is, to play a jagged console port, NO THANKS.
 
Indeed, a true piece of shit game. If it let us at least enable fucking anti aliasing, it'd be semi worth upgrading all that stuff to see. As is, to play a jagged console port, NO THANKS.

yea, i love their explanation for that too: "we were too lazy to make this a dx10 game, so you guys gotta deal with no AA"
 
GTA 4 is what you get when you have lazy fucking developers who don't give a shit about making a decent pc game. They ported this pos over to get some extra cash. Instead of worrying about patches to make the game right (which should have been done before release) they're working on their pride and joy 360 exclusive DLC. "NextGen." my ass.
 
What is this, the crybaby thread? Pull up your pampers and move on. This game obviously isn't for you.
 
I think I'm gonna get the X360 and GTA IV for that :p Even if I don't have a HDTV.
Does the Arcade come with VGA HD AV cable?
 
Yea the game runs fine for me at max settings, and does not use anywhere near the pagefile and memory yours is using.
 
You'll notice he disabled memory restrictions, or gave the kid his credit card and told him to buy as much candy as he wants!

What I'm wondering, wolf, did you notice any real difference in game? I would assume better transitions between different areas or something like that.
 
You'll notice he disabled memory restrictions, or gave the kid his credit card and told him to buy as much candy as he wants!

What I'm wondering, wolf, did you notice any real difference in game? I would assume better transitions between different areas or something like that.

so did I
 
I have noticed the longer I play the game my ram usage keeps going up.
 
You'll notice he disabled memory restrictions, or gave the kid his credit card and told him to buy as much candy as he wants!

What I'm wondering, wolf, did you notice any real difference in game? I would assume better transitions between different areas or something like that.

nah, game doesn't hang or anything like that.

It plays smoothly around 20-60 FPS.

Its using that Much RAM and Page File coz I disabled the memory restrictions as you said.

Also I don't think this is not a badly coded game, there is so much happening in the game, which is why it uses so much memory.

Lets see what it does,

You have 10-15 Pedestrians on screen, with 10-15 drivers in cars all infused withh Euphoria technology and physics. All with a mind of their own and aware of their surroundings. Now all this physics work is being done on the CPU which is why it uses so much CPU. Sorry dual core guys.

This is like doing Nvidia PhysX on CPU, obviously it runs slow on CPU than GPU.

If you don't know what Euphoria is, watch this video
http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

and its implementation in game

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/17055.html?type=flv

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29964.html
 
Hey wolf, no logic in this thread, stick to the its a crap game like everyone or be the black sheep that happends to be smarter.
 
You have 10-15 Pedestrians on screen, with 10-15 drivers in cars all infused withh Euphoria technology and physics. All with a mind of their own and aware of their surroundings. Now all this physics work is being done on the CPU which is why it uses so much CPU. Sorry dual core guys.

This is like doing Nvidia PhysX on CPU, obviously it runs slow on CPU than GPU.

this is still an assumption without any real indication of how tasking the technology is on hardware.
 
Hey wolf, no logic in this thread, stick to the its a crap game like everyone or be the black sheep that happends to be smarter.

QFT

Oh, and for you guys having performance issues, I've discovered that dropping Shadow Density to 0 (this is the same as the consoles, so no resason to have our pride shattered) will result in a much much smoother gameplay experience.

You can keep your other settings high, like renderer, view distance and detail distance, just drop shadow density to 0.

Trust me.
 
this is still an assumption without any real indication of how tasking the technology is on hardware.

at least its better than saying, that "the game looks like crap, so I don't know why it requires so much system resources"
 
QFT

Oh, and for you guys having performance issues, I've discovered that dropping Shadow Density to 0 (this is the same as the consoles, so no resason to have our pride shattered) will result in a much much smoother gameplay experience.

You can keep your other settings high, like renderer, view distance and detail distance, just drop shadow density to 0.

Trust me.

We need to compile performance information like this in a thread.
 
nah, game doesn't hang or anything like that.

It plays smoothly around 20-60 FPS.

Its using that Much RAM and Page File coz I disabled the memory restrictions as you said.

Also I don't think this is not a badly coded game, there is so much happening in the game, which is why it uses so much memory.

Lets see what it does,

You have 10-15 Pedestrians on screen, with 10-15 drivers in cars all infused withh Euphoria technology and physics. All with a mind of their own and aware of their surroundings. Now all this physics work is being done on the CPU which is why it uses so much CPU. Sorry dual core guys.

This is like doing Nvidia PhysX on CPU, obviously it runs slow on CPU than GPU.

If you don't know what Euphoria is, watch this video
http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

and its implementation in game

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/17055.html?type=flv

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29964.html

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. It's not optimized well for Europhia, esp. if each person is using the tech at any one time.

At the most the immediate ones should only be using europhia.

This is like, I dunno, making real life graphics and then wondering why it doesn't work on most home pcs?

I don't care how good this physics is. If it's not able to run but on 0.1% of pcs, it's not optimized.

I'm all for new technology, but this is far worse then Crysis as far as optimization for today's pcs, and I'd honestly bet it's the most unoptimized game for pcs ever.

Any developer could make a world as big as earth, with trilions of polys and everything to make it look perfectly realistic, but if only super computers can run em, what the hell is the point again?
 
I was really looking forward to GTA4 being awesome on the PC.

User-created multiplayer shit, crisp, antialised visuals, and a smooth 100fps frame rate on my brand new gaming PC!

Merry christmas from rockstar I guess!
 
Honestly, if their gonna be using Europhia, it should be a fucking option for quad core users/gtx 2x0 users and anyone else should be switched to ragdoll.

I should admit, the game runs well on my gtx 260. But honestly, I know for a damn fact this game runs like shit for 99.9% of pcs.
 
Save money. Play this on a PS3. GTA4 is good but not a reason to overhaul your rig. Wait for Starcraft and Diablo for that. Everyone knows prices fall, hold out till the last minute and get a deal.
 
This is good to know, I was sort of looking forward to playing this but now I may wait a while or not at all. I haven't played a gta since part three and was excited for this one, oh well.
 
this thread is funny

according to a recent hardforum poll only 6 members chose "graphics" over "gameplay" (106 members chose that option)................................................................................................................................................................
 
this thread is funny

according to a recent hardforum poll only 6 members chose "graphics" over "gameplay" (106 members chose that option)................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah, but if the graphics are bad enough it can impact gameplay. Like if you have to turn down the resolution, for example. since less is displayed on the screen.
 
1. That was the console forum, ruled by the Wii kids.
2. That was a loaded question.
3. That was asked badly. Their should've been at the least a third question, asking if you like both.
 
I'm sorry but this is bullshit. It's not optimized well for Europhia, esp. if each person is using the tech at any one time.

At the most the immediate ones should only be using europhia.

This is like, I dunno, making real life graphics and then wondering why it doesn't work on most home pcs?

I don't care how good this physics is. If it's not able to run but on 0.1% of pcs, it's not optimized.

I'm all for new technology, but this is far worse then Crysis as far as optimization for today's pcs, and I'd honestly bet it's the most unoptimized game for pcs ever.

Any developer could make a world as big as earth, with trilions of polys and everything to make it look perfectly realistic, but if only super computers can run em, what the hell is the point again?


GTA IV at 20 fps is awful to me, I can't even play it. I usually get about 35fps outside, however post patch it has been in the low 20's.

Crysis ran shitty on some PCs indeed, but it runs way better than GTA for me. When I had 8800GTX I could not max it out without playing a slideshow, so I had to play on a mix of settings. Either way, when Crysis becomes a slideshow on my current rig, it looks really fuckin good. When I am getting low FPS in Crysis I actually understand why, because it looks good.

In GTA IV, it is fuckin retarded. Why is my PS3 running the game better in some cases than my PC? Fuck, the game doesn't even look that much better than the console version. When I am getting low FPS, I am still playing the same mediocre looking game with a ton of jaggies. In Crysis, I can go and turn down some settings to make it more playable, in GTA I CAN'T!!!! No matter what I do, I am still stuck playing just an okay looking game with awful FPS. The whole Euphoria stuff is crap, how is this game running better on 360?
 
GTA IV at 20 fps is awful to me, I can't even play it. I usually get about 35fps outside, however post patch it has been in the low 20's.

Crysis ran shitty on some PCs indeed, but it runs way better than GTA for me. When I had 8800GTX I could not max it out without playing a slideshow, so I had to play on a mix of settings. Either way, when Crysis becomes a slideshow on my current rig, it looks really fuckin good. When I am getting low FPS in Crysis I actually understand why, because it looks good.

In GTA IV, it is fuckin retarded. Why is my PS3 running the game better in some cases than my PC? Fuck, the game doesn't even look that much better than the console version. When I am getting low FPS, I am still playing the same mediocre looking game with a ton of jaggies. In Crysis, I can go and turn down some settings to make it more playable, in GTA I CAN'T!!!! No matter what I do, I am still stuck playing just an okay looking game with awful FPS. The whole Euphoria stuff is crap, how is this game running better on 360?

It doesn't run better on the 360, not in my case.

It's running very fluid here for me, and all of the settings I have active blows the console version out of the water.

In-game, i hardly ever see it dip below 30 FPS.
Mostly it's anywhere from 30-50+ FPS -- admittedly still lower than what it should be imho, but compare it to the console version:

My settings:
Renderer = Highest / Console equivalent = Low
That's a magnitude of what, 4 or 5 settings higher.

Texture Quality = Medium / Console equivalent = Low

Detail Distance = 65 / Console equivalent = 10
That's 600%+ higher than the console version

View Distance = 65 / Console equivalent = 22
Thats 300% higher than the console version

Resolution = 1920x1200
Console version = 640P or thereabouts (depending on which version you're playing; i.e. PS3 or 360)
That's 250% - 300% higher than the console version


I mean really, think about it, sure it doesnt run as well as we think it should, but it's crazy to think that the console version runs any better taking into account how much more taxing some of us make it on our PC's, and yet still, I for one rarely see dips below 30...rarely, whereas on the console it's the norm rather than the exception.


Edit: The one setting I think I can attribute my new-found performance boost mostly to is setting Shadow Density to 0 (same as the consoles).
Since making this change, I don't notice anymore slowdowns.
 
Back
Top