crazy error that I've never seen before. !!! long post - two pics :)

Bad memory. Download memtest86, burn to a CD, and run - it should tell you which RAM sticks are bad.

The only times that I've ever seen Windows fail during install giving those sorts of errors (line X of file Y is invalid) is when I have bad RAM on the machine.

After that, you should be able to boot up into the recovery console and copy the files back over.

Yep, seems to be bad ram....although, I can tell you this...I had some "defective" Mushkin....all kinds of oddball and random errors during the windows install process....isolated to that stick of ram because a different brand had no issues....

As a last ditch effort, I gave the ram some more voltage (more than stock/default) and BAM!!! No more issues...ever...the ram is still running great in a rig....

wow I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've seen tons problems where setup did not work due to bad RAM.

And why did I write all that :p I guess I was just bored and had nothing to do until breakfast opened.

Well, I ran memtest86 a few times. The first time I saw like 5 errors within 10 minutes. I had a 512 stick in the 2nd slot and third slot.

Then I just tried each stick seperately. The stick in the 2nd slot got 0 errors in one pass, then in the third slot it got a few, and in the first slot it got like 6 errors or something. I was guessing maybe there was something wrong with the motherboard if it only got errors in two slots.

The other stick I tried in the 2nd slot, and it got over 5000 errors within 1:30 before it halted. I figured that stick was gone.

Then I just put back the first stick into the second slot to see if I could do anything. It appeared to work fine, but after I got into windows and a few programs started to start up, I got a BSOD with this message
a driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for disk

Ran memtest86 again, and got a couple errors in like a half hour or something.

So I'm going to RMA the memory (was corsair). but I'm wondering if the motherboard could have bad RAM slots, and if that would be an issue when I got the new RAM back. Because there were more errors in certain slots than there were in others, but maybe that's just random.

Back