Crashing issue: The most Confusing Computer Issue Ever

HeXeD

Limp Gawd
This is a problem that has existed for 1 year now, and I am at my wit’s end. If anyone has any ideas..please respond. If not, it is understandable. I’m not quite sure if anyone could possibly think of anything else, but I have been surprised before.

Without further delay, here is my issue.

I built a system for my brother last year for his graduation. This system is as follows:

AMD 64 3500+
DFI LanParty SLI UT
2G (2x1G) OCZ Platinum
BFG Geforce 6800GT OC
2x 250G Maxtor SATA
Sony DVDRW 16x Dual layer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Antec NeoPower 480W
Onboard Gigabit NIC
XP-90 HSF
2 Cold-Cathode UV
Thermaltake Tsunami w/ 2 120mm fans
Samsung 930B w/ DVI cable

Ok.now when I first built the computer, after I installed Windows XP Pro and the games he plays, I ran a game and it crashed on me after about 10 minutes of play. I could make it through a round of 3dmark 2003 with no problems. The game in question is Battlefield 2. first thing I thought was.. I must be experiencing that BF2 issue. I loaded a few other games. Let them run for about 15-20 minutes but did not have any problems, but did not want to sit there for hours making sure it was 100% stable. The next day my brother was able to get in some gaming. He called me up telling me his computer is crashing. It didn’t have much of a pattern, but it could last in a game for 30 minutes then crash, or last for less than 5 minutes then crash. So, I went back to my parents house to start troubleshooting. I first thought it may be a heat issue even though everything is stock and I am running a XP-90 on the proc. The temps were fine, during load it got up to 48 but from what I could tell is no more than that. I then started searching around and people were saying the new Athlon 64’s were having issues running 2G of ram because of the memory controller. So I decided to run with half the RAM (1G stick in single channel mode.) It appeared that made the computer more stable. I was able to play Battlefield 2 and COD2 for about 45 minutes, but then it crashed. So then I decided to take my ram (OCZ Gold VX 512x2) in his computer and run it in dual channel. This was slightly more stable, and yielded the same results as running 1G in single channel) It was stable for anywhere from 30-45 but it was still crashing. Then people were saying the DFI LanParty mobo combined with the ram was possibly the problem. I put his 3500+ in my motherboard (at the time a MSI Neo2 Platinum), and my motherboard ran it fine with my OCZ Gold VX running dual channel. Then I decided to take my ram out, and put his 2G of OCZ platinum in my setup. I ran this with no problems either. I ran both of these setups for a day while I was gaming. No crashes with either HIS processor, or HIS ram. When I put MY AMD 64 3000+ in his computer, it was still crashing. So I just assumed..maybe it IS this DFI mobo. I contacted New Egg, and had them RMA the mobo, and get me a different mobo. I had them send me a MSI Neo4 SLI Platinum. Since my memory was getting close to the expiration of the warranty, I decided to trade in the 2G for 1G due to the better timings. I figured might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and games of that day really didn’t call for that much RAM. So I had them send me a Gig kit of OCZ Platinum (TCCD chips). Once the parts came in, I set it all up once again. Went through the exact same ordeal, only to find out the computer was STILL crashing. So I figured..ok..it’s not the ram, it’s not the processor, and it’s not the mobo. A month or two of troubleshooting and waiting on RMA’s down the drain. So I went on and on trying to troubleshoot timings, underclocking the CPU..increasing voltages on ram and processor. I was running Prime 95 stable for days, and not ONE error in memtest86 after 24 hours of testing. I was underclocking the videocard, but the one main issue was..I did NOT have a PCI-E video card I could test as an alternative. Finally, a few months later, and a million crashes later, I built a system for a buddy of mine. His computer is almost identical to my brother’s system. Same mobo, same ram, same sound, same optical drive, same power supply, even the same case. The only thing that is different is he bought a 7800GTX. His computer ran fine, and was rock stable, so I asked him if I could come over to his place with my brother’s video card. So I popped in my brother’s video card into his mobo. Within 5 minutes of playing Battlefield 2, it crashed.

Now let me also describe the type of crash that happens (and this is on ANY game..specific ones are Battlefield 2, Doom III, Call of Duty UO, Call of Duty , Counter Strike Source, Half Life 2, and the list goes on..hell even Rogue Spear which is a 6 year old game.) the game will be playing fine, and then, the monitor looses it’s signal, and the sounds continue to loop. It is not a crash to desktop. It doesn’t really “reboot” either, you have to do that manually to get the computer to respond again.

So now, with the realization that his video card, pulled out of his system, and put into a stable system, is making that perfectly stable system crash, I was definitely dealing with a video card issue. I RMA’d the video card with New Egg. The RMA took a little while to come back, but once it did, I put it in his system, and expected the best, but got the worse. My brother does not have a bunch of time to dedicate to hours of gaming. He is typically able to play 1 round of Battlefield at a time. Typically about 30 minutes of gaming. The crashes are sooooo random. They can happen within 5 minutes, or they can last 45 minutes. So for a while, I was assuming his computer was running fine, until he mentioned to me that it was still doing the same thing. He was hesitant to tell me because the crashes were about 30 minutes apart, and he just dealt with it because he did not want to be out of a computer for another week or two. I continued to troubleshoot. Checking event viewer, reformatting a million times, only reformatting and then installing the essentials to run the game. Tried running iintegrated sound and took the SB Audigy out. Still crashing. Due to the fact that it takes 30-45 minutes for me to drive to my parents house, I cannot continue to troubleshoot. I have to make one change, and if I do not have the ability to sit down for 1-2 hours to test, I will not know it is running flaky still. Well, a year passes of me troubleshooting in the same fashion.

Let’s skip to a few weeks ago. Since we have the same mobo now, and identical hardware, I figured I would take his 2 SATA drives out and put them in my computer. When I did that..I formatted, and ran Windows with 1G of ram, and it ran fine. No crashes for over 1 ½ hours. So I figured out it wasn’t the HD. So I decided to do the same troubleshooting step I did over a half year ago. I took MY 7900GT out of my computer, and put it in his. It ran for almost an hour. Then I took his video card, and put it in MY computer. It crashed within 3 minutes of playing. My computer hasn’t crashed in AGES. I can game for days with no problems, but the second his BFG 6800GT went in my computer, my computer started crashing. It crashes with the exact same crash..no monitor signal..have to manually restart the machine.

SO ONCE AGAIN.. if my years of doing this has taught me anything is that Linear troubleshooting is ALWAYS a must, and if Computer “A” crashes all the time, and Computer “B” does not, and you take the video card (which you think may be the culprit) out of computer A, and put in computer B, and it makes Computer B crash. And Conversely, if you take the video card out of Computer B, and put it in Computer A, and it solves the problem..wouldn’t you assume it’s the video card?

So I RMA’d the video card once again but this time with BFG. I received it last week, and put it in my brother’s computer, but it still continues to crash. I reformatted and reinstalled but it did not solve the problem.

So what do YOU think? Do I have a poltergeist in my parents house hell bent on screwing me over? Should I light it all on fire, and buy him a whole new rig on the CC?

I can safely say I have put together over 50 computers since the year 2000. My first build was my 486SX 25MHz 4M of ram with Windows 3.1. I have been doing this a while (not as long as some of you) but I have NEVER had a problem I didn’t solve. This is the most frustrating thing in the world to me. I have spent more money in gas to my parents house to afford a whole new rig possibly.

His computer specs CURRENTLY Parts I have swapped out with the parts
is as follows: on the left:

AMD 64 3500+ AMD 64 3000+
MSI Neo4 SLI Platinum Same exact mobo, and a DFI LAnParty UT SLI
1G (2x512M) OCZ Platinum 2G of OCZ plat, & 1G (512x2) of Patriot TCCD
BFG Geforce 6800GT OC 7900GT, and 2 other 6800GT’s
2x 250G Maxtor SATA 160G Seagate
Sony DVDRW 16x Dual layer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Antec NeoPower 480W
Onboard Gigabit NIC
XP-90 HSF
2 Cold-Cathode UV
Thermaltake Tsunami w/ 2 120mm fans
Samsung 930B w/ DVI cable

PLEASE HELP!!

Some computer configs just dont work. It was more common in the dreaded windows 98,95, and ME. Go into the bios and play with the settings for graphics card. Turn it from 16 to 8 if it will let you.

My advice to you?

Give him your 7900GT since it works happily with his system.

Then go from there, it will be MUCH easier to solve on your own system. It's completely possible that you've been given a bunch of bad cards. You can always get yourself a card while you're RMAing the BFG and sell it when you get a good one.

Edit: Maybe it's the power supply:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Previews/G70preview/11.html

The 7800GTX and 6800GT are similar, but maybe BFG builds a very power hungry card?

Edit2: Try undervolting your CPU and underclocking at the same time. Underclock the BFG as well. If that works, try the BFG at stock speeds with the CPU undervolted/underclocked. BTW, excellent description of the problem :)

Or you can take the lazy approach and unplug CD drives and extra hard drives and crap like that first instead of underclocking and undervolting everything. I dont think its your power suppy because something would of given in by now if it is a power problem not to mention putting a 7900 would also have more of a chance to crash because power supply and it didnt.

pArTy said:
Or you can take the lazy approach and unplug CD drives and extra hard drives and crap like that first instead of underclocking and undervolting everything. I dont think its your power suppy because something would of given in by now if it is a power problem not to mention putting a 7900 would also have more of a chance to crash because power supply and it didnt.

I linked to the 7800GTX because the 7900GT has lower power consumption then both the 7800GTX and the 6800GT.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=xfx7900ee&page=3

Unplugging drives will not change your 12v power consumption much, if at all, while underclocking and undervolting will.

You know..that has been in the back of my mind for a while... the power supply. I just didn't think it was because it was prime stable for days... BUT... I also like the info about the 7900 GT having less power consumption. This is a very good possibility. My computer has the exact same power supply as him AND it is modular..so I wont have a problem swapping it out and checking. I'm posting from it right now. cross your fingers people. If it is the power supply..I can get one to me in no time. Might even pull the ol' swapparoo at comp usa or something.

EVIL COMPUTER!!! EVIL COMPUTER!!! EVIL COMPUTER!!! EVIL COMPUTER!!!

I got home last night with my brother's computer. Decided to just fire it up, and start playing battlefield expecting a crash in a few minutes. I played for 2 FRIGGIN HOURS!!! No crash..no nothing...

this has happened before. I would bring his computer back to my place. Make a bunch of changes, and then it would be working for hours. Bring it back to his place, and it starts crashing. I've tried a different wall outlet (Even though the outlet he is using used to be MY old room, and the outlet I used to use..and when I lived there, I had 3 computers connected to that outlet at the same time with no problems.

I am going to go home and piss on it...that'll make it crash!! mwahahahah --> crazed laugh

I will keep on keeping on though.... any ideas would be great.

Well I dont know if it is the same issue I was having but it could be somewhat of a problem.

I was using a Maxtor drive in my DFI board and I was having problems at startup and some programs fail to load. Also I get some lock ups on occasion.

I googled the problem and Maxtor has a huge problem with NF4. But not all NF4 boards, in my old system with nf4 the MAxtor ran great. The new DFI board I got I get tons of problems.

I called maxtor and they emailed me the firmware upgrade and now all is well.

Like I said I don't know if this is your issue but it could be worth a try.

wow.. thanks for the information! Now they sent you a firmware upgrade for your HD? Or for the NF4 board? and when you had the lock up..you had to manually restart the computer? was it specific to games only when it locked up?

I dunno...really reaching here because this problem is driving me looney.

I JUST went home for lunch and did a REAL QUICK reformat and reinstall of Windows (that's right.. took time to eat lunch and format computer and back in time ;) ) I am going to continue to run things and see if I get a crash..but this time I guess I will wait a while with no crashes before I bring it back to my brother. Any ideas anyone else has..keep em coming.

they sent me a firmware upgrade for the hdd.

it was mainly a startup problem but also just in general, if it made it into windows then i would have lockups

i am not saying this is your issue but its worth a shot to see if the firmware you have is screwy

i'm having the very comparable issues with my main rig. i'll tell my story in the hopes that maybe you'll stumble on something comparable, or something you missed...

specs as follows

Gigabyte Ga-K8NF-9 mobo
AMD A64 3000+
gig of kingmax ram
evga 7800gt co
thermaltake soprano case
coolmax 500w dual rail psu
WD Caviar 250 16mb cache
WD 80gig ide slave
soundblaster SC

I've done memtest for 24 hours, not blips.
i've swapped psus (now running a coolmax 500w dual 12v with 18amps on each
i've rma'd the 7800gt co
i've updated, cleaned and rolled back drivers
uninstalled and reinstalled the game(s)
temps are fine, no other issues - just when gaming (cod2 primarily)

nuthin.

next on my list is to pull out my soundblaster card, remove all drivers, and see if maybe it's an irq conflict. i'm running out of options here though... :(

*subscribe*

zv

UPS?

Try swapping power supplies for now though, it's possible that his is weaker then yours and doesn't like dirty power from the house. It does sound like you're on to something though.

Hook up a line conditioner between the wall and your PC if you can, this way you can tell if it's stable with the conditioner, you know it's getting dirty power from the wall.

Back