Crashes switching from gaming to mining and vice versa

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently switched from a GTX 680 to a pair of R9 290s. I bought them both for gaming (where I've seen a modest improvement) and for cryptocurrency mining (where I've seen a dramatic improvement).

The one thing that drives me bonkers is the fact that I have to reboot between gaming and mining to ensure everyone plays nice. If I try to mine after a gaming session, Windows will lock up for a few seconds, I'll get a message about the display driver having been recovered, and my hashrate on my primary card will be zero. If I try to game after mining, I'll experience anything from game crashes to BSODs.

Is there any way I can get these applications to play nice with each other? This is almost enough to get me to reinstall my 680 and use that for gaming/display duties.

maybe its not shifting is voltage properly, or proper voltage but does not clock up fast enough?
you can dedicate 1 card to mining and use the other for gaming period, I did this for awhile with my 7870s

Im experiencing something slightly similar - I have a pair of 290s, and sometimes (i would say 50% of the time) when I launch my mining batch file half the time it works flawlessly and goes about it's business, the other half I will get a freeze, hard lock, and then a massively corrupted display forcing a reboot.

I didn't use to have this problem on some of the older 'beta' r9 drivers that were out a few weeks ago. In my experience it's a delicate balance of hardware/software.... and hoping that AMD doesn't break a feature trying to fix another feature (it's happened multiple times for me)

I have this issue as well. If I shutdown mining and then go back to it, sometimes the cards get stuck in wierd states. Only solution is to reboot to fix it.

Yep I have to reboot the system to mine on GUI scrypt if I have been gaming.

Just set your intensity to 1 when you're about to play games, and let the GUIminer run in the background. When your done, set your intensity back to 20 to fully utilize the gpus.

Just set your intensity to 1 when you're about to play games, and let the GUIminer run in the background. When your done, set your intensity back to 20 to fully utilize the gpus.

Did I mention that snce putting my GPUs under water, I've been forced to use cgminer's console output-only mode? I think maybe the RPM display in interactive mode is killing it.

Maybe I`ll try GUIminer.

Did I mention that snce putting my GPUs under water, I've been forced to use cgminer's console output-only mode? I think maybe the RPM display in interactive mode is killing it.

Maybe I`ll try GUIminer.

If thats the case, then just add "--no-adl" to your command line. This will force cgminer to skip checking your fan's RPM. i had to add this also to get my cgminer to work correctly after i put my R9 in watercooling loop.

77ndBmk.png

Top tip: instead of rebooting it suffices to "switch user" that way your programs stay running. It restarts the video driver just the same.

Is it possible to have one 290 for gaming while the other 290 is mining?

If it is possible what would the Cgminer config look like?

If thats the case, then just add "--no-adl" to your command line. This will force cgminer to skip checking your fan's RPM. i had to add this also to get my cgminer to work correctly after i put my R9 in watercooling loop.
Thanks! That did the trick. I'll have to see how your earlier suggestion (lowering the intensity) works with gaming.

Is it possible to have one 290 for gaming while the other 290 is mining?

If it is possible what would the Cgminer config look like?
Either do as aznver suggested and lower the intensity to your primary GPU (g, 0 <enter>, 8 <enter>, <enter>), disable it entirely (d instead of 8 in the last sequence), or add -d 1 to your command line. That command line switch will force it to use only GPU 1, leaving GPU 0 untouched. Once you've got things the way you like them, have it save a config file through the interface (s, w, etc). I'm lazy; I just have all the command line options saved in a text file on my desktop.

Thanks! That did the trick. I'll have to see how your earlier suggestion (lowering the intensity) works with gaming.

Either do as aznver suggested and lower the intensity to your primary GPU (g, 0 <enter>, 8 <enter>, <enter>), disable it entirely (d instead of 8 in the last sequence), or add -d 1 to your command line. That command line switch will force it to use only GPU 1, leaving GPU 0 untouched. Once you've got things the way you like them, have it save a config file through the interface (s, w, etc). I'm lazy; I just have all the command line options saved in a text file on my desktop.

Thanks man. Really appreciate the response.

Back