crash problem

Summoner

[H]ard|Gawd
New folder for the [H] here and im having a problem with the program crashing at the end of a WU if i leave the display up. It doesnt happen if i leave it minimized though.

The error i get is : Faulting application winfah.exe version 5.0.1.0, fault address 0x00003987. That pops up in the little MS box asking to send the error to MS.

On the plus side ive done 7 WUs now :p :D

first off.... Welcome to the [H]orde!!

give the console client a try... and make sure that your PC is completely stable (if OCed)... folding tends to be a good way to stress test a rig... you can use EMIII ( www.em-dc.com ) to monitor your progress with the console client... and if I remember correctly, the console client folds a bit faster than the graphical because it doesn't have to think about the graphics.... Feel free to ask any question that you may have :D

Keep on Folding!!

7 WUs for me too. :D New as well.

Relic or someone will help you with your crash problem though Summoner, I don't know enough about this.

And there you're help came while I was posting.

gl :)

Thanks for the tips. Im 100% stable as far as running P95 for 8 hours, which i think is enough to prove that.

Whats the console client? I normally keep the F@H client in the system tray but lately ive been watching the graphics (dunno why hehe) and thats when this error popped up right at the end.

there are a few different types of clients..... graphical.... console.... screensaver..... the console client is the [H]ardcore client :D no extras... no frills... just number crunching... all clients are available from Stanford's Download Page Look for the "No-Nonsense" text only version..... EMII will still allow you to track your progress and look at the proteins....... :D

Keep on Folding!!

OK, i downloaded the graphical client, i guess im not [H] enough :p Its ok to switch to the console version?

of course :D I'd wait until your graphical client finishes a WU so you don't loose any progress... just in case........

feel free to catch the addiction... and blame everything on Relic.........

Keep on Folding!!

I have seen occasional reports of trouble with the graphics on the GUI client. I honestly can't remember what they were.
I do recommend tha 'no nonsense" text-only client. It's not pretty, but it get's the job done with a minimum of fuss. Also, it can be run as a service and completely invisible on NT/2k/XP.

Can you pause/resume on the console version. On occasion ive needed to turn off my PC and with the graphical client it would resume where i left off ( i set the saves at 3 mins) but with the console version i dont see that - I just restarted F@H while it was half way through a WU and it started again from the beginning.

Also, does it interfere with running games and so on?

Thanks for everyones help! (548 points so far :D )

EDIT : got it to resume ok, send link to desktop starts a new version of F@H, creating a link on the desktop and pointing to the file finds the log info =)

It doesn't interfere with games at all. It takes the lowest priority so when you're gaming the client automatically gives up any and all cycles needed for the game. Even your mouse has a higher priority. There's really no good reason to ever shut the client off since it'll never interfere with what you're doing.

Back