Crash on overclock = losing system settings?

sirgallium

Limp Gawd
I'm really confused how this happened but I was overclocking more and more to see how far I could go. Turns out it's perfectly stable at 4.7 but not at 4.8 even if I turn up the voltage.

Anyway after one of the BSODs I had (I would have one every few hours at that speed) I rebooted and I somehow lost some system settings.

Chrome was signed out and I had to re-sign in and that's never happened before. Also in Tribes: Vengeance the ini file no longer had my framerate uncapped. Now there are multiple ways to uncap the framerate I think. But when I switched from my old nvidia card to my new AMD one I was getting 90fps capped where before it was unlimited and well above 144.

Can crashing from an overclock actually change files on the computer? It took me a few days to figure out that I had to re-uncap the framerate in that game and it was stressing me out because it's my favorite game. For so long I didn't look at the ini file because I knew I had already edited and uncapped the framerate in it so I was checking drivers and resolution settings and everything else pulling my hair out.

TLDR: Can computer crashes cause changes to files? Sign me out of chrome and change ini files? I forget if anything else was different but it reminded me a lot of a first startup where you have to configure everything again. But not everything needed to be configured just some stuff. Strange.

A few ways.
Those files could have become corrupted during a disk activity (like background defragmenting) and the system/game replaced some of your files with generic copies or shadow copies.

Back