Crapy FPS in Tribes:Vengeance >: (

6800GTOwned

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Messages
204
Ok, wtf is going on? With my system running exactly as shown in my sig.... I was averaging 9 FPS in single player Tribes @ 1280x1024 on the "Ultra High Quality" setting.

I can get ~60+ fps in Far Cry and Doom3 @ 1280x1024 at their highest settings with 2-4xAA and those games look like they should be waaaay more stressful on a vid card than this! Hell, 3DMark05 runs smoother than that :mad:

I've gone into my nVidia analog display and turned off AA, set my card to high performance but still I get major fps drops in fire-fights :mad:. I mean I know the game is supposedly "optimized" for ATI cards but damn....

Is Ultra Quality in tribes like Ultra in Doom3 (ie. made for a card with 512MB mem) or is something else going on here that I'm missing? BTW it runs fine at "High" but at "Ultra High" even the options menus lag :confused:
 
i've got a slightly faster setup than yours, (+400mhz to the P4) and i can tell you aside from fogging distance, you definately wanna leave everything else on 'high'. :)

with everything on 'ultra high', i take a lot of hard drive hits, and the game just struggles.

leave fogging distance on 'ultra high', turn everything else to 'high', and enjoy the game! :D
 
does it need more GPU ram? or more computer ram? or is it just that intense of a game(which i seriously doubt).
 
whew... well, I'm glad to see it's not just me :p

But yeah, I wonder why "Ultra-High Quality" is so tough on the system (at least during heavy fragfests anyway)? I mean the gfx are comparable to Halo's... it doesn't look nearly as good as Doom3/Far Cry/CS:S(and especially not 3DMark05) but they ALL seem to run way smoother with all the eye candy on.
 
meh, dunno if i'd say T:V looks as bad as Halo. :p while it's definately not going for the uber-realistic look that the rest of those games try to achieve.. it doesn't look bad by any means.

i'd also go on to say that during a 'heavy firefight' there is a lot more going on graphics wise than in any of the 3 games you just listed. :) (more so in matchplay than in pubs, but every now and then even the pubs manage to get a lil crazy ;)).

ninja edit :: just realized that you were talking about single player. :x loaded it up and noticed that with everything maxed out there is a drop in frames without any noticable visual gain. didn't manage to get 9fps in a firefight though. what level were you on? :)
 
well for me look at my sig... it says that when i try ultra quality it just says requires atleast 1gb of ram..so maybe thats why?
i meen you have the minimum amount of it... :rolleyes:
 
I just picked this game up and am LOVING IT!! Really the most inovative gameplay by far I've seen in a long time.

It's weird you guys are getting bad frames, maybe there's a large difference from high to ultra high? I'm only running an xp2500+ 1gb ram and a 9600 pro and find it very playable at 1024 with high settings, ultra high fog.
 
SkuLLy|RT said:
ninja edit :: just realized that you were talking about single player. :x loaded it up and noticed that with everything maxed out there is a drop in frames without any noticable visual gain. didn't manage to get 9fps in a firefight though. what level were you on? :)

Heh, it actually ran at like ~60 on ultra for the cutscenes and most of the game where no one else was on screen... but in like the first level, when you reach the big corridor with the battle ship in it and get jumped by like 8 dudes, it turned into a slide show, heh.
 
Runs fine for me, at 1280x1024. Shadows/Glow set to low/off. Fog set to ultra-high, and everything else on high. PS.20 on for single player, off for multiplayer. Hardware 3D sound on. Quality set to highest in drivers. In SP I use 2xAA/4xAF, and it keeps my frames about 50-70. Sometime dipping to the 40's. In multiplayer I turn off AA/AF, and again get about 50-70. There is usually a lot more action in multiplayer, especially when people spam the burner. That can kill frames in a hurry if you're up close.

Some maps are harder than others. Tropicals and Cavern are harder on my system than others. Tropicals has rain, and for some other reason I dont know, just puts the hammer on my system. Cavern is the indoor cave map, which usually has a lot of action, because its so small. The ceiling is pretty low too, so its more demanding than a open map with a sky. Emerald can be tough too since there is usually a lot of action around the flag, since the map is so small. Its a cluster map usually. Most other maps play very well. Take Isle for example, probably my best map for FPS. It seems I never dip under 50 there, and its usually in the 70's.

Im on a 6800GT@430/1.16 for gaming. I can go higher and it be stable, but I like to be just a "tick" under the max overclock (440/1.19), just for peace of mind. 3400+@2.5gig, and 1gig of PC4000. Using the 61.77, and the 66.70's showed no difference for me. There may have been one (probably with AF speeds) but I didnt notice any. Its hard to get an exact speed, since its never the same twice in multiplayer.
 
Eshelmen said:
well for me look at my sig... it says that when i try ultra quality it just says requires atleast 1gb of ram..so maybe thats why?
i meen you have the minimum amount of it... :rolleyes:

never got a screen saying that when i flipped into ultra mode, but i'm willing to accept 1GB being the minimum amount of ram to run it like that. :D

fallguy - we need to keep plugging this thread, get more people to play the game and all. ;D
 
Have you guys installed the 1.01 patch yet? I noticed some hickups in the game before installing that. Once I installed the 1.01 patch the game runs flawless now. I'm running it at 1600 X 1200 with 2X AA.

What is the console command for FPS in TV?
 
[BB] Rick James said:
Have you guys installed the 1.01 patch yet? I noticed some hickups in the game before installing that. Once I installed the 1.01 patch the game runs flawless now. I'm running it at 1600 X 1200 with 2X AA.

wow, didn't even think about the patch. then again i was under the impression we were talking about multiplayer to begin with, which forces you to dl the patch before you can play. :)

[BB] Rick James said:
What is the console command for FPS in TV?

throw '-console' at the end of your T:V shortcut.. then in game hit TAB and type 'stat fps' :)
 
TV uses the Unreal Engine. Much like the Doom3 engine, it hasn't hit its "quality" ceiling yet as far as I know.
 
Back
Top