Crappy performance in BF2 :(

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok guys, almost everyone I talk to gets much better numbers in the demo than I do! :(

Here is my complete system...

-OCZ PowerStream 520 ( All volts are dead on! )
-AMD Athlon 64 3400 Claw ( Stock 2.2Ghz 1Mb L2 cache )
-DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb ( 10/15 BIOS; 128Mb AGP Aperature )
-OCZ EL Platinum 3200 ( 1Gb ) @ 2-2-2-5 1T
-GigaByte X800-XT 256Mb AGP 8X @ 500/500 ( stock ) - Arctic Silencer 4 ( Omega 5.1 )
-Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS ( I think I need to update drivers....I dont think i've done that )
-SeaGate Barracuda 80Gb 7,200 RPM IDE ( 25Gb left )

Now, I know the HDD is the worst part of my rig, and i'm saving up for Maxtor 250Gb 16Mb SATA drive, but until then, I have to put up with this :(

I'm running the game @ 1280x960 resolution ( I hate anything other than this )

Enabling 4xAA in this demo just KILLS my performance....the game probably averages 30fps and it gets really choppy. People with X800XL's say they crank this game with 4xAA and get really high frames! I have no idea whats going on, I have everything on "HIGH" except for lighting ( makes the game ULTRA choppy when I set this to high ), and I have the sound quality on HIGH and EAX enabled.

Any suggestions? I tried turning down some other options to medium like dynamic lights and shadows, but my performance still sucks!
:(

I suggest you forget about teh new hard drive you want and get another gig of ram ;)

the reason for thr choppiness is the ram being filled up b/c of the textures...try this.... put lighting back on HIGH and textures down to MEDIUM. If you want everything on HIGH, you better have at least 1.5gig of ram......

I used 1.5gig of slowass ram..pc1600....or 100mhz each.... 3x512mb sticks ( they are actually pc3200 that my mobo/a64 downclocks b/c the cpu is an old stepping) and I ran 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF everything high and it ran VERY GOOD.... I play at the same settings with 1 gig of ram but textures to medium.

Really? Damn it :( This game is going to look like poo now :/

Do they make 1Gb sticks that run @ 2-2-2 timings?

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Do they make 1Gb sticks that run @ 2-2-2 timings?

Not that I've seen - especially if your planning on running two in dual channel (2x1gig).

Roberty said:
Not that I've seen - especially if your planning on running two in dual channel (2x1gig).

My motherboard is single channel :D ( 754 )

And I run my comp at stock so....yeah.

I can tell you that I run on my laptop at 14xx something or other (not running the game right now) with everything set to high and 4X AA and I rarely ever drop below the 45 FPS range. I have also noticed that when I kill the game I drop from using 1.5Gb of RAM down to 500Mb of RAM (out of 2Gb total). I would guess that if you added memory your issues here would go away.

I don't know what it is with people needing to turn textures to medium, I only have a gig(and I think it's actually running at pc2700 speeds, and not dual channel) and a 256mb 5700le and I can play with textures at high(although it is the only setting I have set to high)

I think it's your video card.

It's extremely powerful, but it's ATi...the Battlefield games always seem to fuck ATi users over until patches start coming. Vietnam performed pretty bad in the beginning for ATi users as well.

My 6800GT isn't as powerful yet I run everything at high with no dips in performance. Your rig should perform as good or better, but it's going to take time for them to get the patches out.

WickedAngel said:
I think it's your video card.

It's extremely powerful, but it's ATi...the Battlefield games always seem to fuck ATi users over until patches start coming. Vietnam performed pretty bad in the beginning for ATi users as well.

My 6800GT isn't as powerful yet I run everything at high with no dips in performance. Your rig should perform as good or better, but it's going to take time for them to get the patches out.

Yeah... :(

noooo.....teh x850xtpe is a tiny bit faster than the 6800ultra.. but the 6800ultra should be a little faster than the x800XT and even with the x800XTPE.... since the x850xtpe is like 2-4fps faster than the ultra..so all the cards probablky perform very close

well, I hope big-time that the patches end up helping us ATI users, because I'm on an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro + AMD XP 2000+ w 512MB DDR on a KT400, and the demo looks HORRIBLE on mine. I have to run it on 800x600 mostly low with a few medium settings. Oh, and I had to super tweak my pc, from everything down to up.

DJ Zaki said:
well, I hope big-time that the patches end up helping us ATI users, because I'm on an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro + AMD XP 2000+ w 512MB DDR on a KT400, and the demo looks HORRIBLE on mine. I have to run it on 800x600 mostly low with a few medium settings. Oh, and I had to super tweak my pc, from everything down to up.

what did you expect? you need an upgrade.

aZn_plyR said:
noooo.....teh x850xtpe is a tiny bit faster than the 6800ultra.. but the 6800ultra should be a little faster than the x800XT and even with the x800XTPE.... since the x850xtpe is like 2-4fps faster than the ultra..so all the cards probablky perform very close

Eh? I havn't been reading up on benchmarks and stuff, but I do remember the X800XT/PE being faster than the 6800 Ultra in just about everything D3D.

well that was the x850xtpe.... the x800xtpe has an edge over some direct3d games :) but the newer refreshed card, the x850xtpe....takes the lead in almost all direct3d games actually b/c of the speedbump.

aZn_plyR said:
well that was the x850xtpe.... the x800xtpe has an edge over some direct3d games :) but the newer refreshed card, the x850xtpe....takes the lead in almost all direct3d games actually b/c of the speedbump.

Well fellas i can solve this thread real quick.

I am running a FX55 at 3414 MHZ
1GB RAM CAS 2-3-6-3
13x262 FSB
X850 XT PE 630/630

101k AQUAMARK 3d

THE GAME STUTTERS LIKE A MOFO!!!!!

P.s i am going to go turn everything on Medium just to see if its a RAM issue LOL. I truely believe its the GAME PROGRAMMERS NOT THE HARDWARE.

I just got done playing halflife 2 and CS Source at 1600x1200 and Farcry at max everything.

Speaking of BF2 running like crap, does anyone know how to fix the resolution problem, IE not being able to select anything higher then 1024x768.

And yes I have tried adding the lines to the target string, and editing the con files, and all combinations of the two result in a black screen then a crash to desktop.

Ok i put everything on MED and the game runs great now. Still stupid that you need 2 gb of ram . The graphics to me aint all that

Gamespot tested with 2GB of ram and the results were exactly the same. The hitching when high textures are enabled seems to be one of many crippling bugs.

I have a question... I have a 6800gt and I updated to the latest drivers and i don't get any shadows at all, rather black sqaures on the map under the vehicle instead. I tried the drivers that came with the demo.. same thing...

Anyone know which drivers/settings are best for my card ?

OK, how many time must you all read this to try it a relize it works wonders!

with a =>6800GT or a ati Equlevent.. 1gb of ram a a good CPU, 3200+64 or up

Turn AA off, Turn AF to maybe 4x or 8x, Turn everythign in the game to high expect dynamic lighting and shadows, set those to MEDIUM! it will run great all the way up to 1600x1200

I dont care if you havea 3.4Ghz althlon64/FX...keep those 2 settings at MEDIUM...

Maybey in the furture wewill find out if 512mb GPUs will run those on high but for now, dont worry about it, keep it on MEDIUM...

UnrealCpu said:
Ok i put everything on MED and the game runs great now. Still stupid that you need 2 gb of ram . The graphics to me aint all that

you dont need 2gb of ram.. you jsut need those settings on Med, (dynamic lighting and shadows, and maybe lighting)

Ati paid the valve people to make hl2 run good on their cards and now nvidia is returning the favor by doing the same for bf2. ;) Probably a patch.

well NVIDIA got ripped then because, BF2 runs better on the top ATI cards...

nuh uh uh....it runs better on nvidia's top card!! anyone hear 7800GTX?? lol I am just messing with ya :)

but the ultra should run BF2 evenly with teh x800XTPE b/c the x850xtpe is a refresh and it barely beats the ultra. but who cares..the game is badasssssss

*sigh*

I can't believe that guy with a FX55 @ 3.4Ghz and a X850XT PE @ some insane speed is having trouble running this game. Thats a huge indication that the game is coded like crap. Can't wait till X360 comes out...no more worrying about anything hardware related....

I can't believe anyone with a system close to mine is having problems. I run it flawlessly at 1280x960 4xaa, 16xaf all settings on high...consistently get 60-80 fps...and I've never seen it drop below 50, and I've seen it hit 100 and sometimes more.

If someone is having that many problems running this game, I'd suggest blowing away and re-installing windows so you have a fresh system. I normally do this when any big game comes out (that I intend on playing) and I've NEVER had a problem running any game.

If I can run it with all settings on high with the setup in my sig...I see no valid reason why anyone with an equal or better system would have to run some settings on medium.

nst6563 said:
I can't believe anyone with a system close to mine is having problems. I run it flawlessly at 1280x960 4xaa, 16xaf all settings on high...consistently get 60-80 fps...and I've never seen it drop below 50, and I've seen it hit 100 and sometimes more.

If someone is having that many problems running this game, I'd suggest blowing away and re-installing windows so you have a fresh system. I normally do this when any big game comes out (that I intend on playing) and I've NEVER had a problem running any game.

If I can run it with all settings on high with the setup in my sig...I see no valid reason why anyone with an equal or better system would have to run some settings on medium.
Consider yourself lucky then. With the number of people complaining all across the internet, I don't think we all need to reinstall windows. :)

FluxCap said:
Consider yourself lucky then. With the number of people complaining all across the internet, I don't think we all need to reinstall windows. :)

awe...come on! lets all flood and cause a cataclysmic shutdown of the activation servers! :eek: :p

guess I am lucky...but still...someone with a setup noticeable better than mine running lower settings just doesn't make sense. :(

I've noticed the hitching go away for the most part with the "medium" texture setting. If I run AA or AF, it slows down noticeably tho. And to be completely honest, I don't think I've noticed the difference with medium this or AA that. Especially when I'm running from a tank :p :p
I do notice when the whole damn screen freezes up for a split second...

I can run the game at any maxed settingn LOL look at my sig. However if you put everything on High it stutters, Yeah i get 100-160fps np too but the game still stutters. Once i changed it to medium its smooth as silk

UnrealCpu said:
I can run the game at any maxed settingn LOL look at my sig. However if you put everything on High it stutters, Yeah i get 100-160fps np too but the game still stutters. Once i changed it to medium its smooth as silk
Yeah, sure you did, you know that BF2 limits framerates to no more than 100 right? Don't lie so bluntly next time.

UnrealCpu said:

yah and I bet the system in ur sig is fake too..lol and my 6800ultra > 7800GTX too and I am running windows 95 :p

Anyone who says that 2GB of ram does nothing for the game has simply NOT DONE IT THEMSELVES AND TESTED IT..!
I can tell you from experience that the game runs MUCH smoother going from 1GB to 2GB of ram.

Do you need 2gigs?
Of course not, but it does run smoother.
I don’t care what any review tells you, it is crap to say it doesn’t run better.
If you are going to sit in one base for the whole round and not go anywhere then yes one gig is fine.
However the more you are start running around the map the higher the ram usage goes, I have seen it and measured it.
With 1GB I have seen the game use 770Megs of ram and leave 12Megs free, and then it starts swapping and stuttering.
With 2GB I have seen it use right at 1Gig of ram and no stuttering because it isn’t hitting the HDD as much.

I run 1280x960 4-AA, 4-AF all settings on high except shadows and lighting and it is smooth.
End of story.

I(illa Bee said:
Turn AA off, Turn AF to maybe 4x or 8x

The game is HIDEOUS without AA. Every other game in existence looks just fine at 1600x1200 and no AA, but not BF2.

JRT said:
Anyone who says that 2GB of ram does nothing for the game has simply NOT DONE IT THEMSELVES AND TESTED IT..!
I can tell you from experience that the game runs MUCH smoother going from 1GB to 2GB of ram.

Do you need 2gigs?
Of course not, but it does run smoother.
I don’t care what any review tells you, it is crap to say it doesn’t run better.
If you are going to sit in one base for the whole round and not go anywhere then yes one gig is fine.
However the more you are start running around the map the higher the ram usage goes, I have seen it and measured it.
With 1GB I have seen the game use 770Megs of ram and leave 12Megs free, and then it starts swapping and stuttering.
With 2GB I have seen it use right at 1Gig of ram and no stuttering because it isn’t hitting the HDD as much.

I run 1280x960 4-AA, 4-AF all settings on high except shadows and lighting and it is smooth.
End of story.

QFT I tested myself too.... 1gig pc3200 @ 220mhz with max settings stutters like there's no tomorrow..

1.5 of pc3200 downclock to pc1600 ( 100mhz) runs alot better on max settings than the 1gig of faster clocked memory. and stutter FREE

Back