Crappy OC Results

2uantuM

Limp Gawd
We'll, after about 3 weeks of fustrations trying to get this thing to overclock decently, I figured I would ask here.

Specs:
San Diego 3700+
MSI Neo4 Plat SLI (3.4 BIOS)
2x512 OCZ Platinum EL Rev. 2
eVGA 6800GT pci-e
35GB Raptor, SATA3
250GB Maxtor, SATA4
TV Tuner
OCZ PowerStream 520W

Using Eclipse's guide, I was able to hit 330 on the HTT using clockgen (Which I thought was pretty damn good!). However, when I go to OC the CPU, I start getting unstable around 2.4GHz (at Voltages about 1.5V) @ 1:2 Mem 11x218. Interestingly, I have the voltage is the bios set to 1.545 V, and CPU-Z as well as the BIOS is showing the voltage at around 1.49-1.50 volts. When it crashes, its a BSOD and prime95 doesnt give any errors.

Rails on PSU look like this:

Field Value
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.34 V
+5 V Standby 5.17 V
VBAT Battery 3.12 V

Any Ideas? Did I just get lucky and get a shitty CPU?

2uantuM said:
Rails on PSU look like this:

Field Value
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.59 V
+5 V Standby 5.17 V
VBAT Battery 3.12 V

Any Ideas? Did I just get lucky and get a shitty CPU?

Can you measure those values using a digital mulitmeter. The 12V voltage is almost at it's limit. Any increase and you're going to kill something ...

You might wanna watch out.

sorry, it was a typo, its at 12.34V. Still high, but not too bad. Those voltages are accurate; I checked them out with a multimeter already.

One thing I forgot to say is the CPU temperatures are 39/46 idle/load.

hmm.. the temps are fine.. the voltage isn't really at a bad spot, the board can definitly do more mhz..

it seems that you have two options..
1. settle for something a bit sub-par because your cpu does indeed seem to be a dud :(
2. bump up the voltage.. but know that more voltage + higher temps = shorter cpu life

it's all about the tradeoffs.

also, can i ask you a HUGE favor, since many people who get dud cpu's refuse to do this (i suppose out of shame :()
post in my revE oc database when you settle down on a max oc? it's important to get all the chips in there, not just the ones that are good oc'ers, otherwise the DB will give off the wrong impression
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001

Sure thing. I'll have the oppurtunity to test this CPU in my cousins DFI next week, and ill double check to make sure that it is the CPU that is the issue here before I post my wonderful oc results with this CPU :p

2uantuM said:
=However, when I go to OC the CPU, I start getting unstable around 2.4GHz

hmmmm I thought the 3700+ started out @ 2.4ghz???

if prime isnt getting any errors, id think its not the chip. try running teh HTT lower, as 330 is pretty high and is quite possible that the chipset cant handle that for an extended period of time. also, try running 2T and see if it ups stability.

hmmmm I thought the 3700+ started out @ 2.4ghz???
the s754 model does. the 939 is 2.2

330 is the max the motherboard can do, not what i'm running at. Right now im at 11x210 and prime stable. 11x218 is where I start seeing instability (Not via prime, however, It just BSODs on me)

what does hte BSOD say? are you running your memory out of spec? divider? timings?

Running on a 1:2 divider to make sure it wasn't the memory. BSOD flashes too quickly to even see it.

They're TCCD (OCZ Platinul EL Rev 2), 2-2-2-5.

turn off auto restart.

right click on my computer -> properties
advanced tab
startup and recovery settings
uncheck autorestart

if you google the BSOD code itll likely tell you what is causing the BSOD. IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is normally the memory, if you get that.

Its usually random DLL's (or other system files) having errors, nothing about the error you posted.

you should get a number.. like 0x000000000 <- something like that. google it, and MS will tell you whats wrong (or something close to it)

if it is never actually failing prime95 that seems very strange to me. If you are at your wits end with this thing, I might try a "low voltage burn in". Set the CPU to 1400mhz and 1 volt vcore. Load windows with clockgen, run prime95 to make sure it is stable at 1.4 with that vcore. Run it for 3-6 hours. Then start bumping up 33mhz every 30 seconds until prime95 gives you an error, if the PC reboots (mine does this when messing with clockgen at low vcores sometimes) set the last clock you were at with clockgen in the bios, and then run prime for a while. Bump it up with clockgen, when prime fails, back off ~66mhz and run it for 1-3 hours. Then increase the vcore .05v, and repeat clockgen/prime95. When prime fails, drop ~66mhz and run 1-3 hours, repeat these steps until it stops working, or you get a decent clock. Once you are at the point where it won't go any further, drop it down 33mhz for the last time, and run prime for a day or two straight (make sure this is the lowest voltage it will take, and that the frequency is stable under prime). Seriously, this has worked for other users, mine isn't complete yet, but I'd say I'm running .05-.1 lower than before so far. Could just be a more efficient/precise way of testing, could actually be doing something to "burn in" lower vcores. Give it a try, pm me, let me know how it goes.

so is there a good chance that my cpu right now hits 2.3 @ 1.7vcore..that if I do this I might be able to get 2.3 @ 1.65 or maybe if I am lucky 1.6vcore? :p

all I'm saying is that it is worth a try. Just be very thorough, don't skimp on the length of the prime95 runs, and don't just go for broke the second you see an improvement, slow and steady.

i too have had crappy results with my 3700SD. Its a CABGE 0516 MPMW, and it wont do over 2.5Ghz without over 1.5 Vcore. To get 2.6 it wanted over 1.6Vcore, and it just wasnt gonna get that from me... As it is, for 2.5Ghz it wants 1.47Vcore to be Prime95 stable. What stepping/week is yours? Im a bit depressed with my results too :*(

250X10 166 Divider
1.47 Vcore
2.65 Vdimm
Idle 28C, Load 45C

what motherboard, budwise?

I don't know my CPU information.. I threw it in before i checked. I'll check it tomorrow.

2uantuM said:
330 is the max the motherboard can do, not what i'm running at. Right now im at 11x210 and prime stable. 11x218 is where I start seeing instability (Not via prime, however, It just BSODs on me)
just wondering because you havent stated it/noone has questioned it yet, you have lowered the ht link multiplier to 4x or 3x right? might just be something you overlooked, since 210 is fine and 218 is no good...and thx mike for the mini burn-in guide, i might give it a try myself :p

that is with a K8N Neo 2 Platinum. SInce i am running only 250X10, i am running a 4X Multi for the HTT which brings it right up to where it should be, 1000.

Yeah, I dropped the HTT link.

It is just so quirky. I can get up to 2.33 on stock voltage, then anything after that seems to be unstable. The BSOD error im getting is 0x8E, but it really doesnt tell me much.

Sounds like some of the classic k8n neo4 behavior to me... there are lots of similar reports like this in the thread for that mobo on the motherboards area... especially that voltage report... mine even does that.. I can't get beyond 2.45ghz on my winnie because of lack of voltage... it says it's pushing more in the bios, but in reality, zcpu reports a MAX of 1.49v... very dissapointing for many... I ended up lowering my ultiplier, so I could crank my FSB up, and push my memory/fsb harder... it's rock stable @ 245 x 10 (2450mhz on the cpu with voltage set to 6.6% over vid) with memory timings cas 2.5 -3-3-7 1t @ 2.75v... that's where my machine likes to be... any more on the FSB, even with more juice to the memory causes me to go with a 2t timing value, which I suffer a net loss in performance from.. just by a little. Oh well. I don't think my cpu is not happy @ 2.5 for long periods of time without getting it over 1.49v...

Well, here is my CPU Information:

ADA3700DAA5BN
CABGE 0512MPMW

Right now I've been running it pretty stable at 11x212 for a couple weeks. I tried some more overclocking today but hit the same old walls. A friend of mine is gonna let me borrow the heatsink that came with his X2 4400+ to drop the temperatures the bit. If it seems to help I'll probably dive into paying for an XP-120. I'm not gonna fall subject to empty wallet syndrome for a dud CPU :p. On another note, people have seemed to get this cpu week and model up to 2700MHz on stock voltage with no issues. I'll be building an ASUS A8N Premium this weekend, so I'll throw the CPU in there to see if I still hit the 2400MHz barrier.

EDIT: On a second thought, that system will have an XP-120. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Im sorry for saying this but you are running an amd..... There not the best for overclocking. Your not going to get 1 ghz + overclock rates on an amd. I had an amd i couldnt get more then a 50 mhz overclock.... it would constantly freeze.

Im sorry for saying this but you are running an amd..... There not the best for overclocking. Your not going to get 1 ghz + overclock rates on an amd. I had an amd i couldnt get more then a 50 mhz overclock.... it would constantly freeze.

huh???

You are a tool.

mike_995 said:

You might want to check a bit more of the forums. There's plenty of people getting 1ghz oc's on AMD cpus.

mike_995 said:

who cares about overclocking amd! they whop any 4+ghz intel at stock speeds anyday ! lol sorry I couldnt resist.

Are you trying to overclock an Epia? Those things suck, I could only get like 3 more mhz out of mine, no user error on my part...heh.

You are a tool...classic.

Back