Crappy NIC or something simple and fixable? (WiFi SSID)

batteriesnotincluded

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a network card, a PCMCIA 802.11b card, that will connect to any broadcasting network.

However, it does not see any networks that are not broadcasting SSIDs. (they've been entered manually, as would be required for a hidden network).

I have another network card (USB) that does see and connect to the networks, which leads me to believe it's something with the cardbus NIC.

I've used the drivers from the manufacturer, and from Windows Update, and have had no change.

At this point in time I have a couple options.
1. Get a new NIC. Given the laptop in question, it's not necessarily worth it, plus I'd need to find one that's Linux friendly.

2. Get a new router. This will eventually happen once I can find an 802.11N network card for my T60; I was going to pass my G router down to the parents, but could just enable broadcasting SSID on it. (Hell, I could still pass it down and take their 802.11B)

3. Enable Broadcasting on my current router, but I can't enable broadcasted SSID at the moment, as WiFi routers are technically contraband in a campus environment.

Back