• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Crackling/popping issues..

Luca1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
349
Hi :)

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard and it crackles and pops randomly when I have it set to 5.1.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks
:Luca
 
Can you give us any more information to help you out here...

For starters, is this with 5.1 speakers attached or in 5.1 mode but with only 2.1 attached or something like that.

Are there certain programs, songs etc... that it happens on or during?

Have you had the card/speakers a while now or is this a card you just bought?

If you've had it a while and it just started exhibiting this behavoir, do you remember anything you did or events that happened (like a power out) shortly before it started doing it?
 
D2X is PCIE interface.
I remember Asus has released a patch for the PCI to PCIE bridge on D2X/DX, which is said to have this issue on some motherboards. Something has to do with the MB frequency and analog signals....

Anyways, give it a try and let us know...;)
 
Can you give us any more information to help you out here...

For starters, is this with 5.1 speakers attached or in 5.1 mode but with only 2.1 attached or something like that.

Are there certain programs, songs etc... that it happens on or during?

Have you had the card/speakers a while now or is this a card you just bought?

If you've had it a while and it just started exhibiting this behavoir, do you remember anything you did or events that happened (like a power out) shortly before it started doing it?

Thanks for your reply

I running 5.1 speakers in 5.1 mode. When I use headphones or 2 channels with 2.1 setup the issue doesn't exist.

I noticed it when I installed Vista Ultimate 64bit OS, but I can't say for sure if it wasn't doing it when I was running XP.

I noticed it first when playing COD4 using 5.1 but when I exit the game and start a song in Media Player it exhibits the same cracking/popping noise.

Installed latest drivers and PCI patch. no dice... Could Vista be the cause of my woes?.. Whats the deal with Alchemy in Vista?..

:Luca
 
It seems it was doing it in COD4 because I had the sample rate set to 192KHz. The max sample rate in COD4 is 44KHz. I think it has something to do with sound upscaling.

The problem has yet to return to my music playing..

hmm... outdated tech.. gotta love it

:Luca
 
Got this message:

Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc.
 
Yikes...time to disable hardware, one at the time and find the culprit.

yeah I thought that was bad..

I think... and I say I think because every time I thought I fixed it, it came back, but this time I think I solved it..

The fucking tv capture card I have installed on my mobo didn't have the drivers installed properly.. I had previously heard that tv capture cards can mess with soundcards audio signal, and after going through the device manager I found a few driver issues including the 'Multimedia Controller' having a yellow ! next to it.. turns out the driver was for my tv card..
pluddy driver issue..

this how it looks now




AND NO CRACKLING/POPPING NOISE!! WOOOOO!!!!
 
yeah I thought that was bad..

I think... and I say I think because every time I thought I fixed it, it came back, but this time I think I solved it..

The fucking tv capture card I have installed on my mobo didn't have the drivers installed properly.. I had previously heard that tv capture cards can mess with soundcards audio signal, and after going through the device manager I found a few driver issues including the 'Multimedia Controller' having a yellow ! next to it.. turns out the driver was for my tv card..
pluddy driver issue..

this how it looks now

http://img5.imageshack.us/i/33257948.jpg/
*snip*

AND NO CRACKLING/POPPING NOISE!! WOOOOO!!!!

Another one bites the dust :D
 
okay... the popping comes back when I turn on DSP's in Xonar control panel such as Dolby Headphone, Pro Logic IIX and NEO:pC. But also, just before my last restart, the bars would jump up when I moved the mouse, then drop down while the mouse was perfectly still... :\ Now I restarted PC is doesn't do that... Is this possibly Vista 64bit screwing me around?

:Luca
 
Back
Top