Cracked and Locked Screen on a Galaxy S5

amrogers3

Gawd
EDIT: SOLVED, SEE POST #2.

Howdy all, I've googled this and tried everything I could think of so I am posting here in hopes someone has some insight on what I can do. I got a cracked screen on a S5 and I am trying to recover data. The only method I have found to be able to do this is to purchase an HDMI connection kit and plug in HDMI to display on the TV and a mouse to unlock the screen.

Problem is I can see it fine on the TV but the mouse doesn't show up. I plug in a keyboard and that doesn't work either. I tried two different mice and two different keyboards and I can't get the screen to unlock. The mouse lights up red on the bottom so I know it is getting power and the USB port is working but the mouse pointer doesn't show up on the TV.

I've tried SDK/command line as well with no luck.

This just seems ridiculous that I am unable to recover any data off the phone. I'm ready to throw in the towel on this thing and declare it a lost cause unless someone has any helpful ideas I might try.

Last edited:
I tried one last thing and it worked.

For the phones with a pin, you need the HDMI connection kit from above and you have to plug in the keyboard only. Don't plug in power to the kit. Only one I/O will work, either the HDMI or the USB. So, if you plug in the HDMI that is all that works, the USB port will not take in any data. So, all you need to do is plug in phone + USB keyboard tap in the pin and it will unlock.

Plug it into a computer and use the Samsung Switch software to backup the data.

Back