• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cr-48

AintSkerd

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
383
Anyone get one? Thoughts?
Had mine for about a week.
Hardware is okay. It is a 12" netbook. But do you need more than that for browsing the web?
Short answer, sometimes. Flash can get choppy. Video can stutter. Does NOT do HD.
As for "living in the cloud" it takes some getting used to.
Everyone has different needs when it comes to computing. I would like to see better media support. Media streaming over a local network. More local storage options. Apps are one of two categories. 1. Shortcuts to webpages. 2. An actual app.
Love: the battery life, start up times (7 seconds, 10 seconds with sign in), instant from sleep.
Want: better local storage options, more media support local and network
Hate: Nothing so far, It was free how pissed can you be?
 
give me yours... yup that's about all that comes to mind
 
A really nice person at CES showed his CR48 to me. It was one of the few cool pieces of hardware I saw in a sea of shit. Really really nice and it wasn't even on display! I hope that when the Android OS does eventually get to market, that some notebook maker out there releases something approximately like the CR48. I'm not counting on Acer or Samsung or any of the supposed partners to release something as nice, given how crap their notebooks and netbooks are. :(
 
A really nice person at CES showed his CR48 to me. It was one of the few cool pieces of hardware I saw in a sea of shit. Really really nice and it wasn't even on display! I hope that when the Android OS does eventually get to market, that some notebook maker out there releases something approximately like the CR48. I'm not counting on Acer or Samsung or any of the supposed partners to release something as nice, given how crap their notebooks and netbooks are. :(

I could actually see Acer redeem themselves by making a CR-48 Clone. The hardware isn't expensive, and the build is rather minimalist (one of the reasons why I love it). They've gotten lucky with some awesome non-USA releases (3820TG and 4820TG), I wouldn't put it past them to clone the CR-48.

To the OP, I've been wanting one for a while now. I love how it looks. I think it makes a perfect netbook, which is secondary to a main computer. As a computer replacement, I could see where it'd be lacking. But as a secondary device, I think it'd be perfect for what I like to do.
 
The living in the cloud is kinda awkward so far ecspecially with no file manager (no way of organizing files), but I have had no trouble so far with flash or hd videos (watched the brothers mario gta iv parody in 480p fine). But its a nice little netbook and performs all web browsing and light media purposes just fine.

I'm glad I got picked to participate in this pilot program.
 
Been playing with a CR-48 for about two weeks:

LOVE:
the exterior - chiclet keyboard, lowercase keyboard layout, no caps lock (YES!), headphone jack accepts cellphone type headsets

does not get hot at all

open lid and it turns on instantly

Excellent 9+ hour battery life

HATE:

I think cloud computing should include accessing files (video, audio, pictures, etc) from your own server, but there is no easy way right now with the CR-48.

Hardware is very underwhelming. A cheap Intel CULV should be the minimum.

EDIT: It also has one of the worst, touchpad, ever.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top