• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU's and multipliers

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
2,534
Ok....I know that all chips (even of the same type) OC differently....

But if you have an E8600 E0 and an E8500 E0 both set to the same multiplier like 9.0x, then will they act the same? Basically, should I absolutely use the full 9.5x multiplier on my E8500 E0 if I want to get the largest OC? Could I possibly get a better OC using a lower multiplier (like 8.5x) and a higher bus speed?

Thank you.
 
Two chips using the same core and the same multiplier are essentially the same. In other words, if you put an E8400 system and an E8500 system side by side with both set to 9x333MHz, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. It is better to use higher multipliers in general though, since they reduce the chance of running into FSB limitations. It is exceedingly rare for a CPU to actually overclock better with a lower multiplier, and in nearly all cases it ends up doing worse.
 
Will a CPU be just as stable with an 8x multiplier as 9.5x with the same FSB?

If I understand you correctly and you're asking whether a CPU running with an 8X multiplier and a certain FSB will be as stable as it would be while running with a 9.5X multiplier and the same FSB, the answer is yes, and chances are it would be more stable since the CPU would be running at a lower overall frequency.
 
Thanks, and sorry for sounding a little ambiguous tonight. I've been reading a bunch of OC threads, and I thought I saw some people using lower multipliers on their E8500's (or other C2D's for that matter) with higher FSB's....
 
I was having trouble running a E7300 9.5 x 400Mhz = 3,8Ghz so I set my multiplyer to 9 to run 3.6Ghz. I don't have ram that like 450Mhz or I would run that and a 8 multiplyer as it would yeild a little better performance.
 
Back
Top