CPU_FAN vs W_PUMP connectors

revv

Weaksauce
I have a new Corsair H100i v2 cooler and the instructions mentioned that I should plug the pump tothe CPU_FAN connector. However, my motherboard (Maxumus IX Hero) has a W_PUMP connector.

I used CPU_FAN and it works fine, but I was wondering if a better choice would be to use the W_PUMP pins to get readings/stats?

They probably state that because the pump is PWM and want RPM control over it, if the mobo has a dedicated plug, use it, you can control the RPM of most/all of the headers, fan or other wise based on system temps. Just make sure the header is active and runs at a RPM that will move enough water to cool, because if the pump is just idle pumping the fans might go to max trying to cool the CPU but see little to no drop in temps because the pump is not moving water fast enough.

my h110i gt has a single wire going to the fan header, it only provides the rpm signal. if your h100 only has a single wire that's all its doing too and either header will work. technical either will work either way. they are the same thing, the pump header is just extra for this and custom loops.

The W_PUMP connector may be designed for the higher wattage draw of more powerful pumps, but check your manual for that. Other than that, there shouldn't be any real difference in usage.

Back