• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU-Z reporting odd Core Speed?

Jaxel

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Messages
119
I have an Intel i7-2600... I got the i7-2600 instead of the i7-2600k because I have no desire for overclocking. This is supposed to be a 3.4ghz processor, but CPU-Z is reporting it as 1.6ghz... what gives?
 
Becaus you have speedstep or c1e or c3 or c6 state enabled. This really should be in a FAQ.
 
I have an Intel i7-2600... I got the i7-2600 instead of the i7-2600k because I have no desire for overclocking. This is supposed to be a 3.4ghz processor, but CPU-Z is reporting it as 1.6ghz... what gives?

It means your processor is saving power when not in use by running the clock at a lower frequency. Load 8 cores then look at the frequency.
 
there's little reason to disable the power-saving features of a processor, even less so for someone not oc'ing.
 
I don't see why you would disable speedstep/c1e unless it's actually causing a problem, especially on a 2600 running stock. It was advised on other platforms like 1366 when oc'ing b/c there was a stability aspect, but it's been discussed that there is no drawback to it on the 1155.

If your only issue is that you're seeing it say 1600 at idle and theres no performance problem, leave them on.
 
well said tiporaro...as a 1366 guy i overclock but with speed step enabled and my cpu speed at idle 2041mhz but full bore its 170x20 or 170x21=3570mhz...runs cool and its fast as hell for what i use it for..really leave speedstep on unless you just doing benches or just want to run it full bore all the time...its a great feature for 99% of users out there....
 
There's really no reason to disable any of your energy saving features unless you overclock. You'll CPU will clock back to its normal frequency when it needs to perform better, so Speedstep and C1E really just increase efficiency.

Like I said before, though: when overclocking, you can squeeze out a few hundred more MHz if you disable them. ;)
 
Like I said before, though: when overclocking, you can squeeze out a few hundred more MHz if you disable them. ;)

Overclocking the 1155 platform tho has a LOT of people that are still using speedstep/c1e for overclocking to their maximum capability. See the Asus P8P67 overclocking thread on these boards - generally recognized as not a handicap on 2500/2600's. Its a little more work, but the general theory is that you get your max overclock using manual tuning and then fiddle with the speedstep to get your voltage to the same.
 
Overclocking the 1155 platform tho has a LOT of people that are still using speedstep/c1e for overclocking to their maximum capability. See the Asus P8P67 overclocking thread on these boards - generally recognized as not a handicap on 2500/2600's. Its a little more work, but the general theory is that you get your max overclock using manual tuning and then fiddle with the speedstep to get your voltage to the same.
Cool, Intel finally worked out that bug. :cool: I only know about what my old Pentium 4 did, so..... yeah. :)
 
Back
Top