• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

CPU-Z not working?

sint

n00b
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
5
I built my new rig yesterday. I got a DS3 and e6600, I downloaded cpu-z and it says that my cpu is running at 1600 6x266, I have triple check in bios and have set the multipler to everything but 6, on the post screen it shows up as whatever multipler I have in the bios but once in windows cpu-z always says the multipler is 6, cpu-z does dectect changes in the fsb though. What is stranger is that both easy-tune and the windows system information say both cores are running at 2.4 while cpu-z says 1600. Also I've noticed that sometimes when I first start cpu-z up it sometimes switches from 6x to 9x for like 1/2 a second. WTF is going on? How can I find out what the true clock speed is? There any other good alternative programs to cpu-z?
 
This is SpeedStep in the works, which lower the multiplier at idle. Just load Orthos and it will come back to 9x.
 
This is SpeedStep in the works, which lower the multiplier at idle. Just load Orthos and it will come back to 9x.


QFT. I was just about to type the same exact thing.

OP: It's completely normal...no need to stress about it.
 
Thanks guys, never heard of speedstep before. Damn I was worried, feel so much better now. :)
 
YOu can disable it, if you're like.

Go to Display properties, Screensaver tab, Power settings, change Power scheme to Home/Office.

That will keep it at 9x all the time which will give you slightly better performance. I noticed almost 10% difference between it on & off with 3dMark.
 
Great thread, you truly do learn something new daily on these boards :)

Thanks guys
 
Back
Top