CPU-Z not reporting correct Core speeds

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Well in the BIOS I have overclocked my Q6600 a little bit, from 1066 to 1200 FSB and my RAM from 667 to 820MHz. I believe these are unlinked. Using my Asus P5ne board, and CPU-Z, it only reports stock settings for my CPU speeds. However not the RAM. Why is this? If I use Nvidia tuner to manually adjust my clock speeds, performance gets worse even if matched with BIOS settings, yet the new speeds will show up in CPU-z. Whats going on?

System properties lists 2.7GHz and CPU-z is 2.4GHz.

That happens to me sometimes when I'm trying to up my OC . . . sometimes, when the system doesn't like your OC for whatever reason, it resets the CPU to the default. But that usually doesn't happen until I get into the 3.4 or 3.5GHz range - surprising it would happen to you on such a small OC.

For me, rebooting a time or two will usually take care of it. If not, actually reset your CPU speeds back to stock, reboot and then OC again. That should do it.

Worst case, reset CMOS and OC again and it should work.

Hope that helps.

I have power options turned off, reset, I have reset my CMOS plenty of times from bad clock settings too. Its still not showing 2700 MHz in CPU z...

Are there any specific power options in the BIOS that I should look out for? And for some odd reason, while loading wcpuID, it BSOD's with NRKCTL32.sys and dumps memory to disk.

Strange, I think I am supplying enough volts, CPU is at 1.4+, mem 2.3 and northbridge at 1.5

I was however, playing Crysis for a good full hour before anything messed up. And I think it was cause of too aggressive settings on the video card overclocks. \\

By thew way, what is the stock voltage for the Northbridge?

2.3V is alot.

And what have you done in the way of stress tests? what kind of cooling are you running? what are the remaining system specs?

I'm only using stock cooling. Yeah I know I didn't want to say that first. I have at least used Arctic silver applied to it, also redid the northbridge with AS, and slapped a fan ontop of it. Also added small heatsink for south bridge. To be honest I thought even stock cooling could push more than this.

Stress tests, Prime95, however I can't figure out how to run multiple instances for setting affinity. They just keep closing. Currently using Crysis as a benchmark. Temps... they are high I will say. 65C for core and 46C for northbridge.
Also my motherboard now cant POST anymore on 800MHz FSB for the ram. WTF? Does that really happen? It works one day and now it cant even POST.

PSU is Corsair 520HX

I have power options turned off, reset, I have reset my CMOS plenty of times from bad clock settings too. Its still not showing 2700 MHz in CPU z...

Are there any specific power options in the BIOS that I should look out for? And for some odd reason, while loading wcpuID, it BSOD's with NRKCTL32.sys and dumps memory to disk.

Strange, I think I am supplying enough volts, CPU is at 1.4+, mem 2.3 and northbridge at 1.5

I was however, playing Crysis for a good full hour before anything messed up. And I think it was cause of too aggressive settings on the video card overclocks. \\

By thew way, what is the stock voltage for the Northbridge?

Resetting the CMOS will most likely get rid of any BIOS power options that you changed. For Intel look for anything in the bios that says:

C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology)

Disable them.

2.3v is ludicrous for ddr2 memory even for an oc environment. Your ram will not last very long at these settings.

2.3v is the recommended voltage for some memory modules i.e. ocz gold 8800's

Back