• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU-Z and Orthos read different CPU speed?

GoodThings

n00b
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
14
First off - I want to apologize for any idiocy in my question. I've been lurking around on these boards for some overclocking help with my config.

I have the following setup:

Gigabyte DS3 with F10 BIOS
E6400 Core 2 Duo (2.1 stock Ghz)
GSkill 800MHZ ram 2GB (2x 1GB sticks) - I bought this on Newgg for 189, it says it can run over 1000 believe...
Zalman copper heat pipe cooler


I'm looking to get a very stable overclock, nothing crazy, but something to make my memory and processor worth their money. I paid extra for the RAM because it was supposed to exceed 800, so I think Id like to run that at 1000 unless that will affect stability.

The attached screen shots are confusing me. CPU Z is saying my computer is running at 3Ghz, 500FSB X 6 multiplier (Like I set in the BIOS), and when I run ORTHOS, it says its running 4GHZ. Also, please see the memory screen shot and tell me if anything looks bad.

The first time I ran Orthos on this config it froze up, I restarted and ran Orthos for a half hour, restarted and ran it for a half hour again. No problems, maybe the first time was a glitch, it froze immediately.

Also, what program is good for reading CPU temp in windows? I thought CPU Z had it but it doesnt.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-10095191375197/screen1.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-10095191375197/RamandCPUtest.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-10095191375197/MemandCPU.jpg
 
I had the same issue after changing the multiplyer on my 6600, windows orthos and coretemp all showed it as I had never changed the multiplyer while cpuz and the bios showed differently.
 
I had that RAM and it wouldn't even run 800mhz, and it took 2.4 volts to get anywhere near that speed.

as for monitoring utilities, I use speedfan and coretemp.


Orthos is reading the CPU speed wrong because you have turned down the multiplier from the default of 8 (8x500=4000).
 
I had that RAM and it wouldn't even run 800mhz, and it took 2.4 volts to get anywhere near that speed.

as for monitoring utilities, I use speedfan and coretemp.


Orthos is reading the CPU speed wrong because you have turned down the multiplier from the default of 8 (8x500=4000).



Thanks for utility links, temps seem fine. It keeps running Orthos on these settings, but at 40 minutes it finally made a rounding error. System did not crash.

Is it normal for an error to eventually occur on Orthos? Does anyone know a good place to find BIOS settings for various configs? People recommend that online, but google isn't getting me too far for my exact, or close setup.

Also with the GSkill, there were two kinds on newegg at 800, and one was like 129.99 the other 189.99. Im not too sure what the difference was between them, but are you sure you had this more expensive memory? I haven't touched voltage at all on it, its whatever the auto setting is. The memory seems stable at 1000, but its running like CAS numbers 6-6-6-16 or something. Screenshot shows them. Should I try to back them down? If so, what to?
 
Orthos was just reading it incorrect, thank you. It even says est 8.0 multiplier.

I was pretty sure it wasnt running stable at 4000 ;)
 
this is what I would recommend you try in bios:

leave the multiplier on 8
set FSB to 375 (1500)
set cpu vcore voltage to 1.45, it will read lower in cpuz and speedfan and will drop under full CPU load so you may need to bump it more in the bios, try not to exceed 1.44v in the cpuz or speedfan readings, more voltage = more heat
set ram to linked and synch mode, this should clock your ram at 375 (750) and you can try to set the timings to 4-4-4-14 2T, if that doesn't work back them off to 5-5-5-15 and see if it works, the voltage is going to be key in getting the RAM to work right.
autovolting for the RAM when overclocking is not generally recommended, try not to exceed 2.2v

you need to be able to run ORTHOS for at least 4 hours stable with no errors, do not exceed 65C in any core during stress testing.
 
Back
Top