• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU won't ramp up in Linux Folding

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
1,427
I just began folding on my Linux box (open suse 10.0) and it seems that my CPU stays throttled at 800mhz while folding. The speed goes to 1.6Ghz (full) when the FAH console benchmarks but throttles back to 800Mhz when it begins actual folding.

Has anyone had similar problems?
 
what processor? sounds like you might want to disable throttling?


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
I think you need to up the priority of F@H.
I think when its set at idle its lower than speedstep so the CPU slows down.

Somebody with more Linux knowledge can comfirm if thats the case.

Luck.......... :D
 
Well SuSe is handling the throttling and it's set at dynamic. I don't want to keep it constantly at 1.6Ghz so I want to keep it in the 'dynamic' mode.

Also I'm running a Sempron Mobile 2800+.
 
CoW]8(0) said:
Well SuSe is handling the throttling and it's set at dynamic. I don't want to keep it constantly at 1.6Ghz so I want to keep it in the 'dynamic' mode.

Also I'm running a Sempron Mobile 2800+.
wait...what???? do you or do you not want folding to run at 1.6ghz?

FOR THE HORDE
 
I would like it to full at 1.6Ghz, but I would like it to do this in dynamic mode so it only stays at 1.6Ghz when it needs to.
 
CoW]8(0) said:
I would like it to full at 1.6Ghz, but I would like it to do this in dynamic mode so it only stays at 1.6Ghz when it needs to.
if its a folder than it always needs to be at 1.6ghz

FOR THE HORDE
 
I just disable the throttling feature on my laptops...it makes all these problems go away. :)
 
CoW]8(0) said:
I would like it to full at 1.6Ghz, but I would like it to do this in dynamic mode so it only stays at 1.6Ghz when it needs to.


F@H is designed to give up CPU cycles to everything (including the mouse,keyboard)... my PC here at work crunches at 99% 24/7.... when I open Netscape, it drops to 94,95% for a couple seconds and then right back up to 99%

Why throttle the CPU? you do have the option of throttling F@H (though at a static %).... I guess I'm not seeing what you're trying to achieve?


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
So, you want to fix it so folding folds @ 1.6GHz instead of the throttled 800MHz, but you don't want to remove the throttle because you don't want it always run @ 1.6GHz.....I'm very confused by that.

 
The bottom line is I want Folding @ home to have enough priority to cause the 1.6Ghz clock while it is still able to go down to 800Mhz when it isn't consuming CPU.

And no, this laptop is not always folding, I also use it when I travel (hence the reason I have a laptop ).

Why throttle the CPU? you do have the option of throttling F@H (though at a static %).... I guess I'm not seeing what you're trying to achieve?
That's probably only true for the Windows version because the Linux version only has the option of 'idle' and 'low' and neither priorities cause the CPU to run fully at 1.6GHz
 
Folding automatically detects battery on windows. Not sure about linux. If it doesn't there are probably some cron jobs out there that will do it for you.
 
Back
Top