CPU Won't Overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Champ, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Champ

Champ Gawd

I've been trying to overclock one of my old CPUs (2500K) and it will not go through.

I use the same guide when I used the 2500K religiously (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide) to do so, but when I login and check CPU-Z, HWMonitor, or any related software, it says I'm running at the standard (stock) 3.3ghz.

I would like to note I spilled a little water on top of my computer case a long time ago. Only thing I've noticed the computer having an issue (after drying and reinstalling components) was that the computer will not shut off until I force it by holding the power button. It will go to a dark screen, but the computer won't turn off. That's the only issue I have had.

It is likely that is the cause of the CPU not overclocking, but just wanted to make sure. Every other feature works on the motherboard from what I know.

Any ideas? Or is it because of the slight water damage?

2. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn't think that would cause your issue. That said, after you restart the computer is the system still overclocked in the BIOS? Just getting a base for ideas.

3. Champ

Champ Gawd

It is still overclocked in BIOS (or the settings are unchanged).

When I use software to overclock the CPU, CPU-Z shows that is overclocked. I do not want to rely on a software OC.

4. AlphaFox

AlphaFox Limp Gawd

if speed step is on it throttles the CPU down when theres no load, maybe thats what your seeing.

5. Champ

Champ Gawd

Whether it is enabled or disabled it is still the same. :/

6. Champ

Champ Gawd

Just noticed that no BIOS settings save right now. If I disable speedstep, speedstep is still enabled. When I enter BIOS, the values are still the same (as changed), but doesn't take effect.

I.E- BIOS says 43. 43x100=4.3ghz, but when I enter desktop it says I didn't OC at all. When I disable speedstep in BIOS, it doesn't take in effect when I login and speedstep is still enabled even though I log back into BIOS and it is still disabled

7. mda

mda Gawd

No BIOS settings are saved?

Try the ff:

1. Load BIOS defaults
    2. Use CMOS jumper to clear BIOS
    3. Reflash BIOS then clear BIOS

8. Champ

Champ Gawd

I just did all 3 earlier ago and it seems to work now. (OC is active)

I disabled Speedstep, but it is still power-saving (down-clocking) according to CPU-z, but I'll fiddle with it and see how it goes.

Thanks!

9. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Limp Gawd

Did it fix your shutdown issue?

10. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

Mine is stuck at 3.7. Just weird. I guess I will just limp along a bit longer.

11. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

You remembered to set the power plan in windows to max power, and not balanced as that is standard?

I can watch the difference in CPU-Z when I switch between the 2