• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cpu waterblock retro fit question

I have a brand new Swiftech Apogee GTZ that is made for a 775 socket.

I want to use this on a lga 2011 (3930k / sabertooth x79)

Can I order this:
http://www.swiftech.com/multiplatformhold-downplateapogeegtxgtz.aspx


and this:
http://www.swiftech.com/Socket-2011-mounting-kit.aspx
( i already have a 2011 back plate that should work)
and make it work?

and if it will fit, will it cool the 3930k efficiently?

Thanks in advance..

Ozark

regarding the adaptor plate and more specifically the screws (from your link on the LGA 2011 mounting kit) ...
Compatibility
Compatible under some technical restrictions with Apogee GTX, GTZ, and XT; fully compatible with Apogee HD.

Technical restrictions

Issue: Due to close tolerance issues in the machining of the slots of the hold-down brackets, there may be random interference issues between the socket 2011 screws and the Apogee GTX, GTZ and XT hold-down brackets: in other words, in some cases the diameter of the hold-down bracket slots might be a little too small to allow the socket 2011 screws to fit in.

Resolution: End-users who are willing to modify their bracket may do so by using a hand-drill and a 5mm (13/64) drill bit to rim the slot ever so slightly. This will remove enough material from the slot to allow the socket 2011 screws to fit in freely.

Option: A fully compatible replacement hold-down bracket for Apogee GTX, GTZ, and XT will be offered for upgrade purposes shortly.

so it'll either work or require a mod. if you're not comfortable modding the holes they state a fully compatible one will be available soon.

on the performance of the GTZ for a 3930k, depends. the block should be adequate if your radiator(s)/pump/fans are decent. you haven't stated your other loop components or whether or not your cooling anything else (gpu, chipset blocks, etc).

all up, you're up for 15 bucks + shipping.
you could get a another block instead that's fully compatible. the XSPC raystorm will perform better with lower restriction. jabtech has 'em for $50.
http://jab-tech.com/XSPC-RayStorm-CPU-APU-WaterBlock-Intel-pr-4865.html
it's probably the best bang-for-buck block out there at the moment (either the top block or in the top 5).

it's up to you, if you wanna do it cheaply, get the two swiftech parts you linked to but have a drill or small round file ready just in case. alternately buy a new block that'll out-perform your older swiftech model. all up the difference between the 2 options is $35 + shipping.
 
Currently, my only cooling is a leftover Corsair H60. It works fine for stock clock speeds, but not much else.
brief system specs
Asus Sabertooth x79
i7 393k
16GB Gskil XMP 2133
2x) GTX 570 sli
ocz vertex 3 120gb ssd
cougar cmx1000
corsair carbide 500r

Today I bought the following for $40 second hand. Most of which has never been used/still in the box.

Swiftech mcp655 with high quaility upgraded delrin top
Swiftech mcr360 rad
Bix black ice sr1 360
switftech apogee gtz (new in box)
Swiftech MCW30 chipset block
switftech MCRS res
lots of new tubing, fittings, clamps, thermal paste, PT nuke, etc

I'd like to w/c the cpu and gpu's but gtx570 water blocks are all ~$100 each, not sure I want to spend the cash yet. So, initially, I'll just be water cooling the cpu's with the ability to add the gpu's the to loop later on.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I haven't purchased fans for the rad's yet. Any suggestions? I was planning on the Cougar 120mm fan's. They are getting good reviews, and match my psu.
 
If possible get 120x38mm fans because radiators require high static pressure to push air through the fins. This is especially true for most Black Ice radiators.

I think Koolance makes some solid 38mm thickness fans. If not google search for some and other 120x25mm fans with good static pressure.
 
I was planning on using the MCR360 for the cpu, and maybe purchasing a 240 rad for the gpu's.
 
Well you have two 360mm rads, that should be plenty. Sell the GTX 570's and buy something better if you want to use full cover blocks.

This is unless you can find used ones for a good price.
 
I haven't purchased fans for the rad's yet. Any suggestions? I was planning on the Cougar 120mm fan's. They are getting good reviews, and match my psu.

the cougar's specs look decent on paper tho i think you should look at higher rpm fans. they only spin up to 1200. better off looking at 1800-2200rpm fans like Nidec GT AP-15's (or above) or Noiseblockers (M12-S3HS or M12-P). the static pressure is also higher on these fans plus you have some room to throttle the fans down for quiet/idle situations. i'm sure the other members will have some other suggestions.

If possible get 120x38mm fans because radiators require high static pressure to push air through the fins. This is especially true for most Black Ice radiators.

I think Koolance makes some solid 38mm thickness fans. If not google search for some and other 120x25mm fans with good static pressure.

120x38mm fans are best case scenario tho at a cost. they're usually louder and the extra depth may cause issues in some case installations. tho the SR-1 is a thick radiator, you can get away with 120x25mm fans as the radiator has a low 9 FPI. with the GTX xtreme models you'd definitely need higher rpm/thicker fans due to the higher 20 FPI.


Well you have two 360mm rads, that should be plenty. Sell the GTX 570's and buy something better if you want to use full cover blocks.

This is unless you can find used ones for a good price.

purchasing 2 full cover gpu blocks will generally cost at least $200. if you want to hang onto your 570's, you can look at universal blocks instead. looking at $100 for those. the obvious advantage of these over full cover blocks other than price is that they're reusable on just about any GPU. the downside is you need some sort of air-flow over the cards, especially the VRMs.

the 2 360 rads should be sufficient to cool the cpu & 2xgpus providing the system isn't heavily overclocked.
 
I have a GTX 560 Ti 1GB and without some Enzotech copper BGA sinks on the mosfets I could not use the card, but it runs super cool now. The unique thing about the Nvidia reference GeForce GTX 570 is that it comes with a uni-sink already attached.

You might have to do a small bit of grinding or cutting to a small part of the uni-sink that doesn't allow the block to sit flush with the GPU IHS, but a universal GPU block like the XSPC Rasa GPU I use on my GTX 560 Ti would be a great match for the GTX 570 and I can input from experience that the block maintains my GPU core at at 27c at a 77f ambient.

P4050174.jpg


I do not like universal GPU blocks for multi-gpu setups and they also do not play well with compression fittings as you can see. Interestingly enough, I do have another Rasa GPU given to me by my brother who upgraded from GeForce GTX 570 1280MB SLI w/ Rasa GPU's to AMD Radeon HD7970 3GB X-Fire w/ x2 EK-FC7970 which being partial to Nvidia I'm not shamed to concede that his Radeon HD7970 Crossfire is night and day difference coming from the GTX 570's.

Anyways the Rasa GPU is chilling here and I really want to use on another GTX 560 Ti but I figure it isn't worth it. Though it can be done and look good with the correct fittings, nothing beats the sexyness and clean look of full cover GPU waterblocks in SLI/XFire configuration.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top