• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Voltage, Trust Bios or Cpuz?

demingo

Trump is My President!
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,702
So my bios tells me my cpu vcore is 1.3125v while cpuz is stating between 1.200v and 1.216v. Which is the accurate number?

Gigabyte ep45-ud3p mobo. Q6700 @3.2ghz. If I'm actually at 1.2v stable at 3.2ghz I may be able to have a lot of fun with this cpu.
 
Great question. Its normal for a reported BIOS setting to be off from the actual or cpuz reported one. However in your case that's a full tenth of a volt. Get a third and fourth opinion. Try Motherboard monitor or HWMonitor something else. If you really wanna know for sure gotta get a voltmeter
 
CPUZ, as long as it is the latest version. thats the vdroop your are going to see with GB boards
 
What you set in the bios is what your voltage is, asked this over at XS.
 
demingo,

I too have that issue, but I'm at 1.33 in the bios and 1.23-1.24 in cpu-z without load. I'm still asking questions, so hopefully I can get some answers from hicookie on this issue.
 
HWMonitor reads 1.2v as well. So does Gigabtye easy tune.

Hmm I donno.

Just saw what you posted Sphere. I'm inclined to think I am at 1.2v I ran this cpu at 1.315 on my old board which cpuz recorded as 1.315v. Same clock, but my temps were 5-6C higher. So unless I did a MUCH better job applying the paste/heatsink I'm guessing the temps are a result of the lower vcore.

Still hoping for a quad at 400fsb 3.2ghz at 1.2v. :D
 
HWMonitor reads 1.2v as well. So does Gigabtye easy tune.

Hmm I donno.

Just saw what you posted Sphere. I'm inclined to think I am at 1.2v I ran this cpu at 1.315 on my old board which cpuz recorded as 1.315v. Same clock, but my temps were 5-6C higher. So unless I did a MUCH better job applying the paste/heatsink I'm guessing the temps are a result of the lower vcore.

Still hoping for a quad at 400fsb 3.2ghz at 1.2v. :D

Now that would be something. 5-6ºC is on the high end but is still the kind of difference you might expect from that tenth of a volt though
 
I ran this cpu at 1.315 on my old board which cpuz recorded as 1.315v. Same clock, but my temps were 5-6C higher. So unless I did a MUCH better job applying the paste/heatsink I'm guessing the temps are a result of the lower vcore.


It's the vdroop on the board. Gigabyte boards are known for this type of droop. Also trying loading the CPU as well to see if the voltage jumps or drops.
 
The voltage setting you set in BIOS is the max amount of voltage your board will supply to the CPU. Watch CPU-Z when you start a heavy load, the voltage will drop. The opposite happens when you switch to a light load after a heavy load finishes... the voltage jumps back up. In fact, it [momentarily] jumps back over the normal amount of voltage at idle. Vdroop is there to protect your CPU against that. If you set your cpu voltage in BIOS so that it idle's at it's max safe voltage (for example, 1.3625v for my Q9550), then your chip will receive much more than that when the processor finishes a heavy load.

Set your BIOS voltage to the max amount of voltage you want your chip to receive.
 
It's too much vdroop on idle, none of my P35/X48 gigabytes has this issue to the extent I do now.
 
The BIOS setting will generally show what that cpu is rated for, but when your in windows, the motherboard and windows will lower the voltage to save power, which is what cpu z will show, so really, their both right.

If your overclocking, you go based on the bios setting becuase you have to watch how high you go, then in windows, it will lower it a little, but you still can't go to high in bios because it will boot at that amount, and you don't want to fry your cpu.
 
Some board are bigger offenders than others when it comes to vdroop.
 
The BIOS setting will generally show what that cpu is rated for, but when your in windows, the motherboard and windows will lower the voltage to save power, which is what cpu z will show, so really, their both right.

If your overclocking, you go based on the bios setting becuase you have to watch how high you go, then in windows, it will lower it a little, but you still can't go to high in bios because it will boot at that amount, and you don't want to fry your cpu.

It lowers because the VRMs aren't perfect and because of set Vdroop there to protect the CPU from the spike in voltage after a heavy load, not because it boots at that and then windows lowers the voltage
 
It's the vdroop on the board. Gigabyte boards are known for this type of droop. Also trying loading the CPU as well to see if the voltage jumps or drops.

Vdroop is when the voltage drops when the CPU is under load - having a different voltage set in the BIOS than what is actually provided is not Vdroop, it's just poor voltage control.
 
Set LLC on my gigabyte board and the vdroop is zero.

In cpu-z the voltage is around .02 lower than in bios, but I couldn't care less.
 
Actual voltage will always differ from the actual setting in bios and different programs (bios, cpu-z, etc) will show it different. To get a true reading, you need to use a voltmeter. Fortunately, the deviation should not be big enough to cause any serious trouble. If overclock does not work, simply increase the voltage based on the increments available in your bios.
 
Back
Top