CPU usage VS Higher Resolutions

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
If I have a crappy slow CPU, is it more likely to have games running at a good FPS rates at very low resolution as opposed to high resolutions? Am I more likely to have say... 60fps @ 720p as opposed to 1080p? That's assuming the video card can handle off course.

If I have a crappy slow CPU, is it more likely to have games running at a good FPS rates at very low resolution as opposed to high resolutions? Am I more likely to have say... 60fps @ 720p as opposed to 1080p? That's assuming the video card can handle off course.
higher, puts more load onto the gpu. but what cpu are you talking aboot?

higher, puts more load onto the gpu. but what cpu are you talking aboot?

Well, in my case it's my Xeon X5450. It's getting real long in the tooth, but I have a huge library of games to play so I'm not worried about anything that it cannot handle.

When I moved from my 5820k to a 3900x I didn't think it would make a big difference, and it didn't in avg / max frame rates much.

However, it substantially raised the floor on the minimums and the improvement was noticeable even at 4K.

Well, in my case it's my Xeon X5450. It's getting real long in the tooth, but I have a huge library of games to play so I'm not worried about anything that it cannot handle.
ah i see. can it be oc'd, board allow it? if you can get it up to around 4GHz, it will work ok.
and yeah, whats up with your main rig?

ah ok. what gpu you dealing with? oh i also see its at 3.8, so it will work ok for older stuff, new stuff will probably still bring it to its knees though...

ah ok. what gpu you dealing with? oh i also see its at 3.8, so it will work ok for older stuff, new stuff will probably still bring it to its knees though...

Right now, its a 2GB 750Ti, but I have an RX 580 4GB coming in the mail. I am just curious, if video cards were the same, can I get the same FPS with that X5450 @ 720p as I would have had with say... a i5-4440@1080p ?

Right now, its a 2GB 750Ti, but I have an RX 580 4GB coming in the mail
you lose some of the potential performance and might have some low .1% numbers but it should work ok. does that old thing have enough psu to support the 580?

you lose some of the potential performance and might have some low .1% numbers but it should work ok. does that old thing have enough psu to support the 580?
It's not the PSU I'm worried about. AMD cards seem to have issues running on PCI-E Gen 2 and older motherboards. It may boot and install fine, but gaming performance is probably going to be bad or even not work at all. And the motherboard in OP's sig is running PCI-E 1.1.

It's not the PSU I'm worried about. AMD cards seem to have issues running on PCI-E Gen 2 and older motherboards. It may boot and install fine, but gaming performance is probably going to be bad or even not work at all. And the motherboard in OP's sig is running PCI-E 1.1.
good catch. i guess he can try and see. i know its older but my 280x worked fine in a gen 1 slot on the c2d system i limped along on last year. are polaris and newer pickier?

good catch. i guess he can try and see. i know its older but my 280x worked fine in a gen 1 slot on the c2d system i limped along on last year. are polaris and newer pickier?
I think it started with Fiji. While PCI-E is electrically backward and forward compatible the device itself may refuse to run if the bandwidth isn't there.

I think it started with Fiji. While PCI-E is electrically backward and forward compatible the device itself may refuse to run if the bandwidth isn't there.
ah ok. guess we/he will see...
edit: posts on amd community are conflicting. some say it reqs 2.0 some say 1.1...

No. Increasing the resolution is much more GPU dependent than CPU. If you're CPU limited, but not GPU limited, you'd get almost the same framerates at 480p as you would 1080p

Reactions: XoR_
like this
When I moved from my 5820k to a 3900x I didn't think it would make a big difference, and it didn't in avg / max frame rates much.

However, it substantially raised the floor on the minimums and the improvement was noticeable even at 4K.

Did you overclock the 5820k or just kept it stock? Because IIRC the IPC of Haswell and Zen2 are pretty close in gaming. The 5820K in particular is bad for gaming at stock because the stock cache ratio is low compared to the 5930K and 5960X. IIRC you can even keep the clock speed the same and just overclock the cache ratio and the performance of the 5820K will get the same level as a 5930k/5960x @~4.5.

Did you overclock the 5820k or just kept it stock? Because IIRC the IPC of Haswell and Zen2 are pretty close in gaming. The 5820K in particular is bad for gaming at stock because the stock cache ratio is low compared to the 5930K and 5960X. IIRC you can even keep the clock speed the same and just overclock the cache ratio and the performance of the 5820K will get the same level as a 5930k/5960x @~4.5.
Yes, 4.3ghz overclock. At the end of the day it's down cores. 6 cores ain't cutting it for a lot of the newer more demanding games.

Yes, 4.3ghz overclock. At the end of the day it's down cores. 6 cores ain't cutting it for a lot of the newer more demanding games.

You did manually overclock the cache too? Because the 5820K isn't anywhere as fast as the 5930K/5960X in gaming without doing that as well. Also which games did you see a gain from going above 6 cores?

Back