CPU usage extremely high after nastyware removal

jadams

2[H]4U
XP SP3 machine. Had a boat load of nastyware fake antivirus on it. Most noteably malwaredoctor i think it was.

Ran the usual. MBAM, SB:S&D, SAS, MSE, Combofix.

After removal it appears the bad stuff is gone but svchost starts to gobble up memory and 80% of the cpu cycles. End the task and the same thing happens.

Think this is something left over from the malware?

Google searches say to install XP3 to eliminate svchost taking up this much recources, but SP3 is already installed.

Suggestions?

---------------------

p.s. - "nastyware" is my phrase, you cannot use it w/ out paying me a royalty :D

Running CCleaner will also help clean up any extra files that might be causing issues from a temp folder.

I did use ccleaner too.

But something keeps redirecting away from MS sites. Something still has to remain left over.

For virus/spyware removal IMHO the best software is autoruns, then process explorer to pause the running processes and delete their files. Then anything that can't be deleted saying it's locked or something you can use CACLs to change the permissions on it and have it autodelete after reboot. Granted this is a dangerous way to do virus/spyware removal but I find it the most effective.

TDSSKiller removed a rootkit. Windows Update fix worked. PC seems to be in tip top shape now.

Thanks.

Back