cpu usage all over the place

SnapCat

n00b
that basically says it...im on an abit it7 board with an intel pentium 4 1.8a gHz. even when i close everything, the cpu fluctuates between almost 0 percent and 100 percent every 10 seconds about, and i know its really doing it, because programs that i run that use a lot of cpu arent running well at all, very unstable, such as watching a dvd with digital audio that it has to decode, or just watching a dvd at all really. what could this be?

alright, i figured out that this is that newer strain of the blaster worm sort of thing, it keeps starting processes such as cvcd.exe, scvhost.exe, etc, and slows the cpu down, and does the whole rpc restart thing. has anyone heard of this yet and know how to cure it? these trojans are identified as the Gaobot, Agobot, Delladmin Backdoor Trojans by http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/security/virus/alert/

alright i solved it, just deleted the files listed on the website, plus a couple more i found and figured out that they were involved

deleting the files won't kill the virii.

There are services and registry keys involved in blaster.

Get antivirus software asap.

yea i know, i also went into the registry (in safe mode) and deleted all entries that contained the names of the files i deleted, there were several. i read a website that told me to do this regarding the virus, otherwise i probably wouldnt have messed with the registry. but once i got all that done, i did all the windows xp updates, since this was a brand new hd and os, which should keep it out, since this virus infects computers that had never been patched for the blaster.worm virus before. now that im patched and everything, i should be fine i think. everythings running normally

That's great.

Now go and get an anti-virus of some sort. I suggest AVG- http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

I don't particulary care if your computer dies a horrible death, I do care that while it was infected it was spouting virus traffic left right and centre, possible infecting tens of thousands of other computers.

Back