"CPU Upgrade" - what does it do?

I mean, I know what it does. It loads a predefined overclocking profile determined (in my case) by Gigabyte. Thing is, after applying the one-touch overclock, all the settings in the bios that it presumably touched remain on "Auto." That is to say, I can't see what vcore Gigabyte thinks is warranted to keep a 7700k at 5GHz. I don't know what LLC setting they're using. I don't know what the unCore is set to.

The reason I want to know is that I used "CPU Upgrade" with my new 7700k and it worked. Stress tested just fine, temps were a smidge high, and so I wanted to see if my silicon was good enough to back the voltage down a bit. Since I can't seem to just go in and tweak (or even see) the settings while a "CPU Upgrade" profile is active, I set it to a starting point: Multiplier 50, vCore 1.35v, power states and iGPU disabled, unCore multiplier 45. And it crashes within seconds of starting a stress test.

Any advice?

Check vCore while it is under 100% CPU load. If it is under 1.44v with GOOD cooling, you should be just fine. The downside to those profiles is that you can often dial back the voltage for your specific CPU to running cooler at the same clocks. Just depends if you want to play or not.

I use HWInfo64 and CPUz. CPUz should work fine for you. I do not trust CoreTemp for voltages.

After x264 for about ten minutes the highest voltage I saw as reported in CPU-Z was 1.392v. Temps are leveling off in the high sixties.

This is with the 5GHz "CPU Upgrade" profile and XMP enabled. Easiest overclock I've ever done... that's why it's suspect, I guess. XD

I'll just call it done though. I can't complain about any of those numbers. =)
I would call that good and start using it. :)

Back