CPU too hot? When should I worry??

Hi Folks,

I am a new AMD CPU owner. In the past I was always a slave of buying a named brand PC to play my games on. My friend at work educated me about AMD processors and building my own gaming system. With his help I built my first system(see my signature for item listing). My system has been running for about 1 month now, and it's fantastic.
FYI I am air cooling
No lockups
No problems whatsoever.

I have 2 questions:

#1 After running Prime95 for 24hrs straight my X2 4400 Toledo runs at 55 C tops. At what temperature should I start to worry about damaging my CPU?

#2 I have a Leadtek PX7800GTX video card that is running at 450mhz stock. I am considering overclocking it. At what temperature should I start to worry about damaging my GPU?

Thanks again for the help and gaming advice folks.

#1: I wouldn't begin to worry, as long as it keeps under 60*C than you are alright in the sense that it won't be damaged.

#2: IDK about your card specifically; generally you want a GPU below 50*C. I don't like it to exceed 40 by much.

55C is okay, I'd like it to be cooler. you could get a better heatsink

The CPU is fine..there is a program called MaxT case that allows you to see the rated temp that AMD thinks your cpu will be OK at. My opty 148 is rated at 62C. With watercooling, overclocked and at load it is only 42C. If you want to be sure, google MaxT case program, install it and find out for sure.
As for GPU, I read somewhere that the 7800s series can go as high as low 80s, high 70s at load and be OK. However, you should be fine if you can keep them around low to mid 40s under idle and high 60s at load.

Back