CPU Temps?

Shockey

2[H]4U
I just finished fixing a computer. First time messing with thermal grease and remounting heat sink.

My CPU a athlon x2 4200+

My Tempatures are showing 33 degree(core 0) Celsius and 40(core 1) on my cores.

Fresh install. Microsoft security essentials and Firefox only application i have running. (posting from computer now)

I wanting some advice as to are these temp to consider ok or should i be worried?

Using a program called Core Temp.

Thanks.

That's fine for idle speeds and little to no load on the processor cores. Are you using the stock HSF that came with the processor?

temps look normal for that processor.. put it under full load with p95 and see if the load temps match.. at full load both temps should be almost the same.. if they arent.. then ya might need to reseat the heatsink because you may have to little or to much thermal grease on one side of the chip..

That's fine for idle speeds and little to no load on the processor cores. Are you using the stock HSF that came with the processor?

Yes, Stock heatsink. It hp slimline.

EDIT: it did jump to 45 and 50 Celsius once my anti virus picked up a virus and was cleaning also running FF during that time.

I'm thinking i reseat it and possible use a small paint brush to evenly spread the grease this time. Sound like a good plan?

P95? Got a download link? Google gives mixed results.

Yes, Stock heatsink. It hp slimline.

EDIT: it did jump to 45 and 50 Celsius once my anti virus picked up a virus and was cleaning also running FF during that time.

I'm thinking i reseat it and possible use a small paint brush to evenly spread the grease this time. Sound like a good plan?

P95? Got a download link? Google gives mixed results.

just use a credit card and spread a thin layer across the chip.. or put a thin line across the middle of the chip and make sure you put the heatsink on straight down and not angled in any way as you tighten it down..

Ran the stress tester on it. core 1 went up to 56 after a few minutes and the other up to 47 for a high. Then i shut it down and my screen went white and hard drive stopped being accessed.

lol weird.. never heard of that happening before.. id say most likely you will want to try reseating the heatsink.. temp differences are a little drastic.. but if they dont change the second time then its possible one of the sensors isnt configured correctly or its bad..which isnt a big deal as long as 1 of them is working correctly..

lol weird.. never heard of that happening before.. id say most likely you will want to try reseating the heatsink.. temp differences are a little drastic.. but if they dont change the second time then its possible one of the sensors isnt configured correctly or its bad..which isnt a big deal as long as 1 of them is working correctly..

Cpu was under full load from the stress test. both core at 100% according to my temp monitoring program

This whole thing new to me and weird. :p

Cpu was under full load from the stress test. both core at 100% according to my temp monitoring program

This whole thing new to me and weird. :p

gotta start some where.. :D weird or not we were all in the same boat at one time.. more you do it the more experience you gain from it.. the easier it gets..

Although the temps aren't dangerous they do seem high to me...

The AMD Heatsink + Fans are generally pretty good for stock ones.

I'm personally running an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and getting Idle temps of 15 - 25 degrees (over both cores) and load temps are about 35 degrees.

Anyway I like to check out this site frostytech.com when looking at temps and comparing heatsinks/fans.

Ok, I removed the old thermal grease and applied a line from one corner to another. Then a dab on each side of the line. It idles at around 40-45. :(

Soon as one of the cores hit 55 again, Screen went white and had dash lines across it. :confused:

sounds like theres something else wrong with the system.. 55C is no where near the max for that chip..

try running small FFT's with prime95.. see if the problem happens again.. if the doesnt then try running large FFT's.. if it fails then.. the problem is the ram and not the cpu.. at that point run memtest86.. see if the ram passes..

btw frostytech is probably one of the worst sites to use for comparing heatsinks/fans.. they dont even test heatsinks on a processor.. they test them on a heat plate.. which really doesnt represent how a cpu transfers heat to the heatsink its self.. since the heat from an AMD/intel i5/i7 processor is generally in the middle of the chip.. where as on a c2d/c2q the heats transfer more from the sides of the chip.. on a heat plate it transfers the heat across the entire base of the heatsink which will give mixed results depending on the processor you are using.. also core temps vary depending on how efficiently they transfer heat from the core to the heatspreader covering the cores and then to the heatsink..

Well, my problem just got bigger. Since my last shutdown was a hard shutdown with button. (white screen) I now am greeted with Windows Error recovery screen.

When i hooked up the CD/DVD drive, insert the vista dvd and go to repair the install. It blue screens with Stop 0x000000A5 which says i need to update my bios.

I have no operating system and No Floppy drive. I've never flashed a bios outside of running an exe. Anyone have any advice on how to update the bios. It 5.04, latest is 5.07.

Hp told me take it to a pc shop when i contacted them to determine the problem. (basically to backup my finding from google is why i contacted them)

Is it really that difficult?

Last edited:
Back