CPU temps normal?

veritas7

Gawd
I am asking because I feel with my new case I am maybe losing out a lot on cooling, but in so also gaining silence.

My setup:
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
5x case fans (three intake - one bottom, one over hdd bay, one sys fan intake to CPU, exhaust - 2x on top)
Abit IP35 Pro
e8400 @ 376 x9 (3384 MHz) [slight overclock]
TRUE 120 w/ SFF21F
9800GX2 @ stock clocks and auto fan via EVGA Precision
1x 1 yr old Seagate 250GB, 2x 3 yr old Maxtor 250GBs (hot! from old Dell)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad (80mm fan, should've gotten Corsair :| but great performance)

Now, since switching from a reverse ATX case (Lian Li V2000B, man was it hug, should've gotten the 1200 when I had the chance) to a regular ATX case, it seems like I've gained a higher temp.

Now, it makes sense as I had my side fan on the V2000 as exhaust, so any hot air that rose and also the hot air the video card produced was pushed out the side.

However, when I switched cases, I also did an 'up/sidegrade' - I switched out my Q6600 (long story) to the e8400, and also from an 8800GT to a 9800GX2.

I thought I did my thermal paste wrong, but I reapplied it twice, as per AS5 instructions.

It's idling at 39/40c in Windows XP. I guess that's alright with

1) 72F ish room? frat room but no thermom, basing off of window A/C settings
2) 9800GX2 feeding hot air in to the CPU (a LOT hotter than 8800GT, and since its on the bottom, the hot air rises whereas in the V2000 it was already above the CPU)
3) slower fans (I went from SFF21Fs to SFF21Es for more silence) and case insulation (side panels have foamish material to dampen).

Something wrong? Sounds right? Will my CPU be hindered at all by idling near 40c? If I remember right, my load temp is around 56/58c I think, by Orthos. I still haven't tested my rig via the Intel test... probably should sometime.

edit: This case swap was done over a month ago, around the beginning of August. So it has had sufficient burn in time.

Haha you're perfectly fine. :D

Idling temperatures are generally around 40C, while stress temperatures can be up to almost 60C. :)

Yeah, I just found old screenies from when I had my Q6600, 8800GT, and my Lian Li... I think I was idling at 32c at 2.7GHz, man do I love that Lian Li, but it was horrible for cable management (at least for me) and it was humming like no other, had to pad it down just so the humming/vibration (low freq, I have very good hearing) wouldn't drive me insane. D:

Back