CPU temps i7 2600K

Im running the i7 2600K on the P8P67pro w/stock CPU cooler, no overclocks/tweaks; performance setting in simple BIOS. GPU is Asus GTX580. I have a fairly compact Silverstone HTPC cabinet, which i know is not ideal, but it looks nice.. Two cabinet fans (extract) is all there is. PSU is HX850.

When running games like FarCry2 and BFBC2, all settings at max, and logging with RealTemp, i get max temps at 75degrees for the CPU and 86degrees for the GPU.

Are these very high temps? right now its idle at 39 for CPU and 41 for GPU.

No, I ran the stock cooler for about 8 hours and it is trash. I was hitting almost 80c in IBT at stock settings.

You should invest in a coolermaster hyper 212+

idle temps arent high, load temps are a little on the high side, what are your ambient temps? what do you have for case ventilation?

Ambient temps are stable at 20-21deg, case ventilation could probably be better, got two 80mm extract just above the mobo interface backpanel. Its a Silverstone SST-LC17B HTPC cabinet which is pretty cramped.. do not have space for the optional intake fans for this cabinet.

Id like to consider another cooler, although im not going to do any overclocking.. but with this cabinet i have a restriction in CPU cooler height.. i have not measured but assume i have about 3-4cm clearance above the stock cooler at the moment. Its tight.

To make it even worse; i have the cabinet mounted in a hanging configuration under the desk.. there are two 30mm straps which holds the cabinet, one of which partially cover the PSU air inlet and the passive inlet on other side of cabinet.

I will get another cabinet, perhaps an Define R3 or similar, i am sure any other cabinet would be better than the one i have..

Last edited:
I just did my 2500k buld yesterday. I installed win 7, went to bios and I was at 87C. Stock cooler is absolute trash. I went and bought a hyper 212 from microcenter and now I'm at 36C idle.

I just did my 2500k buld yesterday. I installed win 7, went to bios and I was at 87C. Stock cooler is absolute trash. I went and bought a hyper 212 from microcenter and now I'm at 36C idle.

Mounted it wrong.

Heres some interesting results. i just built a P8p67 pro for by brother with the 2600k and the Zalman 9900 Max cooler and found it to idle in bios at a steady 30 degrees with 17 deg ambient. I built myself one with the 2600k same cpu and the P8p67 deluxe with stock cooler it idles between 45-50 degrees in bios. Realtemp says 34-36 degrees in Windows and Primes up into the seventies. So I would say the stock cooler is garbage!

I just pre-built my rig at lunch using the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo and the 2600K. I'm using the DD Torture Rack as the case until I can watercooling added to my new case. Using the Intel stock heatsink just so I can verify everything works and to install Windows 7 and drivers, I was amazed at the high temps in the BIOS. I'm looking at 66C in the bios. It's seated correctly too.

I'm only using the stock heatsink until I'm ready to build to add everything to my case. Am I ok to install windows and drivers, or would you go with a CM 212? I hate to spend the money and it would take 3 days anyway. I'd hate to see load temps.

I just pre-built my rig at lunch using the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo and the 2600K. I'm using the DD Torture Rack as the case until I can watercooling added to my new case. Using the Intel stock heatsink just so I can verify everything works and to install Windows 7 and drivers, I was amazed at the high temps in the BIOS. I'm looking at 66C in the bios. It's seated correctly too.

I'm only using the stock heatsink until I'm ready to build to add everything to my case. Am I ok to install windows and drivers, or would you go with a CM 212? I hate to spend the money and it would take 3 days anyway. I'd hate to see load temps.

It should be fine at stock speeds - after all, that's what the stock cooler is made for. I wouldn't wait on installing Windows.

Keep in mind that the BIOS temps probably aren't accurate. You should use Real Temp to monitor your temperatures. Anyway, your CPU can handle temperatures up to around 100C, so there's no need to worry unless your load temps are above 90.

No, I ran the stock cooler for about 8 hours and it is trash. I was hitting almost 80c in IBT at stock settings.

You should invest in a coolermaster hyper 212+

I second this comment. 20 bucks well spent.

I'm keeping the stock heatsinks for target shooting from now on. I got a CM Hyper 212 since 67C was too hot for my tastes. Can we shoot the idiot that invented push pins and while we are at it, do the same for whoever made the decision to keep using them? It took 15 minutes to get 3 of them to unlock, but the last one I had to cut it out from the other side of the mobo. I couldn't get to the pin from the main side because it was the pin that was tucked in with the mobo heatsinks.

An hour after finally removing the stock fan, the 212 went on in under 10 minutes. The temps dropped 20C. Everything looks good now but I had to RMA back to NewEgg the RAM. I got the GSkill RipKill 2 x 4gb sticks DDR3 1600 and one of them didn't post. Nice mobo. It tells you where the fault lies...in this case the DRAM LED stayed on when I put the 2nd stick in. Removed it, no issues. Took out the 1st and replaced with 2nd, LED stays on. The main LED showed 58 code, which pointed to the CPU, but that wasn't it.

I'm building a budget machine for my wife's business and the cheapo AData 2GB stick I got for $25 worked fine in my gaming machine, but it took some weird resets to get it to work. The BIOS kept showing it as 4GB and Windows would BSOD, but I finally got it to work by discharging the mobo and resetting the CMOS. Never had to do that with RAM before. Anyway, very impressed with the P67 Deluxe board so far.

i have the same cooler. im idle 23-24C. CPU fan stays at 700rpm.. wonder if i can up it a bit manually in bios to drop another couple degrees..

Back