Infaustium
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Apr 16, 2008
- Messages
- 166
Since changing sinks from the Thermalright Ultra 120 to the Scythe ZIPANG, I at first noticed great temps. However, I am noticing what seems to me to be slightly higher temps and temp "jumps" that I never remember seeing.
I've been building systems for many years, but I'm not sure what the issue is here. I know the sink is mounted perfect (I double-checked), with AS5, though the sink does use push pins but it's on tight. The weather just warmed up, so that's got to be part of the idle/load temp increase, but the "jumps" seem a bit excessive.
I'm running an E6700 (stock) and idling at about 34-35C in the now hotter weather.
When loading a prog that takes more CPU power, like booting up Steam to play HL2, my temps will go up 1C every second, upwards of a 7-8C rise in temp, reaching about 42-44C max while it's loading.
I might be nuts, and that might not sound like much, but I don't remember ever seeing that kind of jump. Usually my temps were always around 35-36C max while loading anything, as far as I remember.
Could the "jumps" be due to the sink not sitting flush (even though it appears to be fine)?
Somehow not making total solid contact?
Perhaps it's the nickel plated base or the sink itself that's not cooling as well as it seemed at first, allowing for these jumps?
I'm using an Antec 120mm fan on high on the sink itself as well, with plenty of cooling in an Antec 1200 case. I never remember seeing jumps like that, upwards of 7-8C while loading anything, then slowly dropping back down.
Under load in general, I'm hitting about 44C max, but that's also higher than when using the Ultra 120, though perhaps the weather could account for this. My ambient temps are good with this case (around 38C idle, and 41C when gaming etc.).
Any ideas/suggestions?
If these jumps in temp don't really seem excessive or unusual, please let me know as well, but I never remember seeing that kind of jump, and I'm always paying attention to those types of things, using RightMark, RivaTuner etc.
Thanks!
I've been building systems for many years, but I'm not sure what the issue is here. I know the sink is mounted perfect (I double-checked), with AS5, though the sink does use push pins but it's on tight. The weather just warmed up, so that's got to be part of the idle/load temp increase, but the "jumps" seem a bit excessive.
I'm running an E6700 (stock) and idling at about 34-35C in the now hotter weather.
When loading a prog that takes more CPU power, like booting up Steam to play HL2, my temps will go up 1C every second, upwards of a 7-8C rise in temp, reaching about 42-44C max while it's loading.
I might be nuts, and that might not sound like much, but I don't remember ever seeing that kind of jump. Usually my temps were always around 35-36C max while loading anything, as far as I remember.
Could the "jumps" be due to the sink not sitting flush (even though it appears to be fine)?
Somehow not making total solid contact?
Perhaps it's the nickel plated base or the sink itself that's not cooling as well as it seemed at first, allowing for these jumps?
I'm using an Antec 120mm fan on high on the sink itself as well, with plenty of cooling in an Antec 1200 case. I never remember seeing jumps like that, upwards of 7-8C while loading anything, then slowly dropping back down.
Under load in general, I'm hitting about 44C max, but that's also higher than when using the Ultra 120, though perhaps the weather could account for this. My ambient temps are good with this case (around 38C idle, and 41C when gaming etc.).
Any ideas/suggestions?
If these jumps in temp don't really seem excessive or unusual, please let me know as well, but I never remember seeing that kind of jump, and I'm always paying attention to those types of things, using RightMark, RivaTuner etc.
Thanks!