• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Swap. 2.4C for 2.4C

=lks= ka druma

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
286
Ok, i have a 2.4C in my box now. I have another one coming later this week. If i put it in to this working machine, will XP home play nicely?

I see 3 possibilities:

1: works ok
2: Repair install
3: Clean install

Any help or info would be great as I have never tried this. My current Xp install is about 2 weeks old so I have no problem wiping it again.


LKS
 
I guess that means it should work ok.

I am expecting to see how the OC is. My current 2.4C OC's like crap. My highest stable( P95) is 247fsb @ 1.6v. Thats ridiculously low for what they are known for. I'm not sure how many caps this one is but the new one is a 30 cap so.... ... I'll just wait and see.


LKS
 
=lks= ka druma said:
I guess that means it should work ok.

It means exactly what LoStMaTt said. Windows won't care one bit.

Might OC better if you're lucky.
 
I switch my 2800+ and 3700+ around all the time and windows doesnt give a damn. Even changing motherboards gives no problems.
 
It tends to care more about motherboards although not always, mostly just if you're swapping chipsets it'll tweak out. Just means ya gotta let it know who's the user and who's the overcomplicated mess of incompatible standards.
 
ashmedai said:
It tends to care more about motherboards although not always, mostly just if you're swapping chipsets it'll tweak out. Just means ya gotta let it know who's the user and who's the overcomplicated mess of incompatible standards.

Yeah, since the boards I swapped with both nf3 250gb's, just different brands, I'm sure that helped compatibility.
 
i did the same thing. i had to reinstall the chipset drivers anyway though.. some things were freaking out at me.. like the onboard audio. hehe
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i did the same thing. i had to reinstall the chipset drivers anyway though.. some things were freaking out at me.. like the onboard audio. hehe

SmartGuardian didnt like Soltek very much. I should have saved a screenshot of the voltages and temps, they were... unsettling, haha. I think it said the vcore was like 4.7 or something like that.
 
Thanks for the info guys. I have two 865pe boards so I'm looking forward to smooth sailing. I'll update afterwards with my OC results



LKS
 
you're at 1:1 did you try 5:4 & 3:2 to make sure its not the ram holding you back.

Thats seems to be the # 1 problem with people OC'ing 2.4C's
 
I sure did. I bought new ram, psu, HD and mobo with no help.

2x256 pdp pc 4000 ran memtest for 32 hours at 272mhz
3-4-4-8 @ 2.75 volts. With a 4:5 ratio of course.

Chip won't do over 247fsb with 1.6v, prime 95 stable. I realize that you can still live life and not be prime stable, but the system would crash in 3dmark05 at 255fsb 1:1 OR 5:4 SO..... Here comes a new cpu.

I'm not going to keep buying chips if I have a crap OC again. I think I'll wait and see what happens on the dual core scene. Maybe Amd needs some of my mouhlah.

The upside is now I have everything to make the wife her own machine. Now she can stay the F@ck off mine, LOL



LKS
 
you want to buy mine? I'm thinking about getting new mobo, ram & processor..... 775 (not dual core yet), DDR2, 945/955

It does:
3.4Ghz @ 1.525 (default voltage)
3.45Ghz dual prime stable @ 1.55v
and will loop 3dMark for hours at 3.6Ghz @ 1.6v
 
Man that stinks. You're about 3 days late. Maybe some one else will be interested.


LKS

Thanks though
 
So far It booted windows at 275fsb on stock vcore. I need to run p95 for awhile when i have a chance but so far it eclipses the old 2.4C. I'll update once i get it all figured out and tested.

Woo! MF Hoo!

LKS
 
Back
Top