TempleDMDKrazd

Limp Gawd
what is the difference?

im running a 960T at 3.6 ghz
225 X 16.5
VCORE: 1.272
CPUNB: 2475
HTLInk 2025
8 gigs gskill ram at 1.5 volts 750mhzX2 = 1500 (rated for 1333)
coolermaster hyper tx-3 cooler

when im priming my system my core temp doesnt go above 43C, but my CPU socket temp goes to 63C. should i be worried or can i push my system more?

HiutJ.jpg

it's fairly well known that most thubans (and denebs for that matter) have gimped temperature sensors inside the chip. you'll know for sure if yours is buggered if your idle CPU core temp is close to or below ambient temperature.

i'd go by the socket temp if i were you, it'll still be off by a few degrees tho a damn sight closer than your core temp reading.

looking at your Vcore (which is pretty low), i'd say either the heatsink mount isn't great or your heatsink itself isn't up to cooling your 960T or you have high ambient temperature in the room.

on a side note, deneb/thuban cores aren't rated to go much over 60C.

my idle temp is 33C (90F), my ambient temp is around 68F

ok if your idle 'core' temp is 33C and your ambient is 20C (had to break calc.exe to convert F to C), then that seems about right. what's the CPU socket temp at idle?

something's off.

theoretically the socket temp should be cooler than the CPU core temp.
you haven't got a 2 pin thermal diode header on your MB have you? the temperature sensor cables only cost a couple of bucks. my CHV has a few of these headers littered around the board.

i had to do something similar with my 1100T/Asus CHV rig.

my 1100 core temps were way off (reading below ambient). at the time i had a aquaero 5 fan controller with 8 temp sensor headers. i hooked-up a thermal sensor cable to the aquaero and stuck the other end to the side of the IHS of the CPU. i wedged a piece of blutak in-between my waterblock and the socket so i know the diode was in direct contact with the CPU's IHS.

the temperature reading i got off it was almost identical to the socket temperature read via CPUID 'Hardware Monitor' (under the sub-heading 'Temperatures' off 'ASUSTeK Computer INC Crosshair V formula' section).

if you can attach a temp sensor, think you'll find something similar. it seems your CPU core readings aren't as far off as mine are tho.

in any case, if you can verify the socket temperature with a diode, great. i do think you should treat the core temps from the actual 960T as unreliable tho.

You obviously have a good CPU heatsink but perhaps not enough airflow across the mobo. Or TMPIN0 could be the VRMs.

what is the difference?

im running a 960T at 3.6 ghz
225 X 16.5
VCORE: 1.272
CPUNB: 2475
HTLInk 2025
8 gigs gskill ram at 1.5 volts 750mhzX2 = 1500 (rated for 1333)
coolermaster hyper tx-3 cooler

when im priming my system my core temp doesnt go above 43C, but my CPU socket temp goes to 63C. should i be worried or can i push my system more?

HiutJ.jpg

This might help:
"[snip]
Concerning your question regarding the temperatures with your processor. (1090) the maximum temperature threshold is 62 Celsius which set for the internal die (core) temperature of the chip. The core temperatures have an equational offset to determine temperature which equalizes at about 45 Celsius thus giving you more accurate readings at peak temperatures. The hindrance in this is the sub ambient idle temperature readings you speak of.

The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

The Cpu temperature is read form a sensor embedded within the socket of your motherboard causing about a 7-10 Celsius variance form the actual Cpu temperature, which may be what you are reading about on the net.

You can use an application called AMD overdrive, that will allow you to monitor your temperatures accurately.

As long as your core temperature has not exceeded the high side of the 60 degree mark for extended periods of time you should be ok. 62 degrees holds a generous safety net to begin with.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, If you have any more inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank You

Alex Cromwell
Senior Technology Director
Advanced Micro Devices
Fort Collins, Colorado
2950 East Harmony Road
Suite 300
Fort Collins, CO
80528-9558"

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=153804&enterthread=y

Back