• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU slowly degrading?

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
2,015
I've had an Intel 2600 since launch date running at 4.8GHz@1.4V. Lately though my computer has been giving me BSODs when I game. After fiddling around for a bit I believed the problem was the CPU so I set it to 4.6GHz and no more crashes. Does this sound like my processor is slowly dying to you guys?
 
I wouldn't necessarily say that if lowering the clocks has fixed it. I've done thorough tests using MemTest, Pi, and IBT and they'd all clear just fine, then randomly I'd get crashes, often while playing a game that would be fine a couple dozen times earlier. There isn't a methodology of testing that will guarantee an OC is stable. Sometimes it would happen within days of an OC attempt, sometimes I'd go for many many months (up to a year in one case).

One of the reasons I'm decided to go with a mild OC on my new system. It's just too much to deal with to get perfect. Although I do appreciate a good OC like what you have going on.
 
I've had an Intel 2600 since launch date running at 4.8GHz@1.4V. Lately though my computer has been giving me BSODs when I game. After fiddling around for a bit I believed the problem was the CPU so I set it to 4.6GHz and no more crashes. Does this sound like my processor is slowly dying to you guys?

It happens. Happened with my Core2Duo (E6400 ran at 3.2GHz for about a year and a half before I had to lower it to 3.0GHz. Then another year and a half before it died completely).
 
I had a similar problem with my 2600k a while back. It wasn't the CPU, but my H80 that was dying. I replaced that, and the CPU's still humming along with the same overclock.
 
I'd think the motherboard was starting to give out before the CPU.
 
Back
Top