• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cpu scaling with 5870 @ Anandtech!

psyside

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,243
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3649&p=1

very good test guess the bottleneck is alot more important for minimun fps then average and maximum (the most important part of the games imo) I was really impressed with the 40% performance boost in minimum fps segment, going from stock to 4.2 ghz ;)

Also i5 included in the test intresting read no doubt.
 
Good to see how well an ATI 5000 series scales with over clocked CPUs and with both p55 and X58 chip set motherboards.

The gains from going from stock (2.66 and 2.8 ghz respectively) to 4.2 ghz was significant in CF.

However, single card gains were extremely small (sometimes less than +1 fps).
 
The gains from going from stock (2.66 and 2.8 ghz respectively) to 4.2 ghz was significant in CF.

However, single card gains were extremely small (sometimes less than +1 fps).

I'm sorry. I have a problem of thinking everybody is going to run Xfire. Lesson learned.
 
Last edited:
Cool review, but no Core2 or Phenoms? It's nice to see CPU scaling and and all but it would be nice to see how much older processors are holding these cards back.
 
For a single 5870, most scenarios the CPU be it stock 2.66 or OCed 4.2 shows hardly difference worth noting, and most of them are above 60fps anyway. Only exception was WiC min fps which showed a good difference between stock and OCed.

Hopefully this will make the 'YOU'RE CPU LIMITED W/O A HEAVILY OCed i7 OMG' people shut up a bit.
If you're running a dual GPU set up, the gains are there but for single, you're not holding back the 5870.
 
*cliff notes*
If going for Multi GPU and an OC'd i7, go for x58. Got it, thanks.
 
Good, considering that my CPU usually is faster than a stock i7 920, means that I'm not CPU limited at all if I move to a HD 5870.
 
I would have liked to have seen the top phenom and top c2q as well as I5, but good review none the less.
 
Hopefully this will make the 'YOU'RE CPU LIMITED W/O A HEAVILY OCed i7 OMG' people shut up a bit.
Interesting graphs here as I'm sitting on an e8600. Different video card, but I'd expect similar relative performance between i7 975 and an e8600 with a 5870.
 
Review sucks... we all know i7 rules
but i would have liked to see if q9550 or x4 955 are bottlenecks or not ... for all we know a q9550 oc'ed will perform the same
 
Back
Top