CPU ripped out with heatsink still attatched

Kako

Limp Gawd
So my problem is I wanted to clean out the dust from a computer. I unscrewed the fan, took off the brackets holding down the heatsink, pulled on it and out came both the cpu and the heatsink. The stuff on the cpu isn't thermal compound, looks like some type of adhesive, so I can't put the cpu in with the lever in the up position. Anyone have any experience with this or am I missing something. Any advice would help at the moment as this isn't my pc. I don't usually use adhesive and from my understanding, the heatsink isn't going to come off no matter what. It might have been broken before I looked at it because of a flood, but I still want to get the cpu in there and try it out.

this happened to me many times, the CPU was fine each time

To get it off, I suggest sliding it off. If it is one of the AMD CPU's with the pins on them, you do NOT want to try and pull it off, I did that once and many pins got bent as a result. Just slide the CPU into one of your hands then clean it off. It should be fine

Yeah this happens a lot. Before removing the HSF, run the PC a little to warm the thermal compound up a little. also twist or slide the HSF instead of pulling it off. I have also bent pins on CPUs because of the same problem

It's not thermal compound, it's a hard type of dried paste to keep the heatsink locked on like a woman knowing she's got 20 years of child support coming her way. I don't think I'll be in any trouble, but it's something I really don't want to deal with. Any suggestions?

You were right, it worked! I don't recommend using a plug in room heater though....

It's off, now to see if it works. Thanks.

It's not thermal compound, it's a hard type of dried paste to keep the heatsink locked on like a woman knowing she's got 20 years of child support coming her way. I don't think I'll be in any trouble, but it's something I really don't want to deal with. Any suggestions?

LOL :D

Sounds like my friend's mom (and his thermal paste)! :p

Back