• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Question or something else?

AirPower4ever

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
131
I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or under the motherboard forums so please excuse me if I made a mistake. I found an old system in my garage and I want to overclock it. I just got in to overclocking with my Core I7 920 and have some time under my belt (lifting the belly that is). I'm bored so I want to see what I can do with the P4, stock fan for now.

It has a Pentium 4 3.0GHz processor, (stepping-E0) and one thing that I saw during overclocking reading is to utilize, if necessary, the CPU voltage. So I started out with getting the data sheet for this processor and CPU-Z and saw that the voltage was at the higher end of the spec sheet (VID 1.25V-1.4V) at idle. So I figured, I must have some setting for this processor wrong in the BIOS, so I went into the BIOS.

Here is where I am lost. The board, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS rev 1019, I got into the CPU voltage and the settings are only 1.3750V and 1.38755V (setting as manual) so I am not sure if this is because of the processor or BIOS? One would think that the BIOS setting would reflect the CPU ranges for that CPU or am I wrong? So I am looking for a little direction and why this is? Cause for concern prior to overclocking? Normal for this CPU? Update or down-grade the BIOS? Just not sure.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses and yes I know, don't mess with a P4, get a new updated processor. But I just want to play with this CPU now.
 
P4's run pretty hot so go careful upping the voltage unless you have decent cooling.
See how far you can clock without upping the voltage first, then you can establish if the voltage increase gives much benefit.

Your BIOS is responsible for the available voltage settings.
If they are restricted, check that there isnt a setting in the BIOS that keeps things safe.
A BIOS update may help, worth checking.
 
Okay, thanks for the overclocking link and thanks for the voltage response. So it appears that I am in the wrong forum, this should have been in the motherboard area since it looks like this is more of a BIOS setting than the CPU. Thanks, but also sorry for posting in the wrong area, I was not sure what the issue was.
 
Back
Top