CPU problem?

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
I booted up my computer today which usually takes seconds, and for some odd reason, this time, it took about 10 minutes. Futhermore, when it does finally load everything is extremely sluggish. In task manager it continuously says that my PC usage is exactly 50% or higher. My question is this: is my cpu fried?

I've pretty much ruled out spyware and virus' since I'm well protected and it quite litterally happened between boots. I should also mention that for fun I recently overclocked my PC to 2.8 for a few hours but I didn't change the voltage and the temperature never rose above 50 degrees.

Do you have Spyware doctor? If so, I had a problem with the program and it was causing to take a constant 50% +/- cpu usage on a 3.6 ghz cpu. Uninstall it and download the new version and that will fix it (if youre running it ofcourse). Otherwise, go into task manager and look at your processes, click the CPU tab so it shows highest cpu descending, and find out whats taking that 50%.

bah! Can't get past the login screen after 45 minutes. Tried booting in linux and no dice. Can anyone confirm or disprove my belief that my CPU is screwed? Is it possible that it could be my ram?

Back