• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU problem

Rusty4560

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,131
I've got a p5n32e sli plus motherboard with a e6750 dual core. I ordered the Q9550 as an upgrade after looking at the types of supported CPUs.

When I got the new CPU I installed it like I would normally and my machine would not POST. After a night of headaches Asus and I came to the conclusion that I had ruined the motherboard. I did not realize that my motherboard only supported 65nm Quads and not 45nm quads.

Now here is my question. After I did all this I attempted to put my e6750 back into the machine to see if it would work. The Asus technician said resetting the CMOS might allow it too boot. I didn't. So my question is whether or not you think the CPU is damaged from putting it in the motherboard.

I've RMAed the Q9550 to get a new one just in case there is something wrong with it. And I've purchased a new motherboard, but in the mean time I have a E6750 that may or may not be bad. My uncle wants the CPU from me but I don't want him to try to use it and end up messing up his hardware.
 
Assuming your uncle's motherboard is compatible with the CPU I'd put it in there.
 
You don't think that the CPU could be damaged by putting it back into the motherboard that is now not POSTing? The machine starts but it doesn't POST. I get no video and no beep codes.
 
I'd say the CPU should not be damaged (pins were moved from CPU to motherboard itself in order not to damage CPU easilty). The best way to find out the truth is to give the E6750 to your uncle!
 
YEA! Let him be the guinea pig!!

HAHA, Seriously, I really doubt the CPU got damaged as well.
 
I just didn't want to ruin anything else. Waiting for RMAs is torture.

Although I did get newegg to give me a refund on my CPU instead of replacing it. So now I've ordered it again. I'll have the CPU tomorrow and the mobo comes in today. <3 newegg
 
Back
Top