CPU Pin Tool

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
Can anyone recommend a tool for straightening a slightly bent CPU pin? I have a Dell R710 server mobo with a bent CPU pin, and it is out of warranty. (I also tried a narrow mechanical pencil, but the surrounding pins obstruct the plastic of the pencil from isolating the bent pin.)

It sounds crazy, but I used a razor blade to align bent pins on a CPU once. It doesn't have to be exact, just close and the length of the blade helps as a guide against the other pins. Just don't bend it too much, it will break off.

Notice how the metal "guide" sticks out a ways. I've also used a knife, but that is a little hairy.
That metal tip is ideal, but the only mechanical pencil I found around has a (thicker) plastic end. Good to know, though.

It sounds crazy, but I used a razor blade to align bent pins on a CPU once.
Since I'm assuming this is a socket pin and not a CPU pin, I suggest something like an (snip)Exacto-blade(/snip).
Right - the pins are socket pins, instead of attached to the CPU itself (I should've specified that at first). I hadn't thought of a flat blade or exacto-knife, I can give those a shot.

At least for reference, is there such a tool for aligning a bent pin? If so, a (recommended?) product link would be appreciated.

Last edited:
really fine tweezers

the widefield microscope is most helpful also

At least for reference, is there such a tool for aligning a bent pin? If so, a (recommended?) product link would be appreciated.

If there is a tool which has the specific purpose of bending pins back into place, I'm not aware of it. On the CPU side, I've always found an exacto-blade with steady hands will get the pin(s) into a position where I can then align things with a thin credit card.

However, for a socket full of LGA pins, I hate to say I've never successfully managed to bend a pin back into a position that would allow an installed CPU to function properly. However, I've only ever tried to do it once on a socket 775 board whose functional status outside of the mashed pins was dubious to begin with.

Last edited:
Back