• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU overheats playing games

olypentax

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
7
I am stumped. My 2 year old computer with a Asus P5E3, Intel, Duo Core 3.0ghz, Radeon HD 2900 series card, 2 GB DDR3 memory, 80gb seagate SATA, Windows XPSP3 (dual boot Vista) opens in Windows but now runs almost 50c at idle.

I have cleaned everything, I have reseated the heatsink with Arctic 5 and the CPU fan is running at 2265 which should be OK. I have been using this for gaming for over a year and all of a sudden it has started to overheat and crash.

I decided to try it on Fallout 3 on medium quality (I normally run it on ultra with max FPS), and it didn't crash but on Team-Fortress 2 It crashed within 1 minute of joining a game!. Then after that it would crash on boot again.

Do you think this could be my CPU, video-card or something else be doing this? I just don't know where to start troubleshooting.
 
I agree with the 2 above me.

Rarily, and I mean rarily do I see a CPU overheat crash, unless something is really really borked.

More often than not the fan(s) on the GPU start failing , or dust, etc, gets underneath and imbedded in the HSF on the GPU. I had a 7800 GTX do this to me, and I was able to fix it by getting an aftermarket cooler.

I'd check the GPU carefully.
 
Thanks for all your replies. The GPU was real dusty when I cleaned it with clumps of dust in the fan area. I have it all blown out now but maybe it was damaged. I am not at the computer to check temps now but I think Real Temp went up to over 70c. Would a bad GPU cause the CPU to overheat?
 
Last edited:
I would not be concerned about 50C with an core2 Intel CPU. They have 80C max I believe. Is the max temp approaching that?

BTW my core2 quad Q9550 idled at 55C before I replaced the stock fan with an AC Freezer Pro 7. Now it idles in the 30s. Both with the automatic fan speed control.
 
Last edited:
might want to think motherboard too. I had an asus motherboard a few years ago which exhibited similar problems.
 
might want to think motherboard too. I had an asus motherboard a few years ago which exhibited similar problems.

yeah dis is true they have really bad sink on the north bridge. I always take it off and scrap of that plastic crap they call paste and apply my own improves temps at least 5 degree's.
 
Back
Top