CPU overheating??

josh_1413

Limp Gawd
I have a Core 2 duo E6600 that just arrived in the mail today. I have an Asus P5B Deluxe mobo everything is at stock. I went into the bios and it says the temp is at 59C! I felt the heatsink but it is cool to the touch. Asus probe says the same thing. What do i do?? Thanks!

Take the heatsink off and see if the core had good contact.
If it does then you know its a bad sensor reading.
If not, you'll be glad you did :)

Chernobyl1 said:
Take the heatsink off and see if the core had good contact.
If it does then you know its a bad sensor reading.
If not, you'll be glad you did :)
I think it is on there as good as it can get
anything else i can do to make sure it's safe??

It says the same thing using that program. CPU Z says my voltage is at 1.146 and my cpu is at stock. I tell you, the processor is cool to the touch. Could it just be a misreading?

josh_1413 said:
It says the same thing using that program. CPU Z says my voltage is at 1.146 and my cpu is at stock. I tell you, the processor is cool to the touch. Could it just be a misreading?

you touched the processor while it was running? I think maybe that heatsink might wanna be on the CPU and cover it better, lol. Software monitoring will always be flawed. my CPU-Z said my 950 was at 2.87V when I was running 1.4V, not uncommon to screw stuff like that up. I'd use a couple of programs and the bios. If you're still puzzled at why your monitors read info that you're skeptical about or are really whacked, I'd recommend you get a separate sensor and maybe a voltmeter.

I just got a e6300 and my temps are crazy.
Code:
	Room	Case	Mobo	CPU
Idle	21.8	25.3	33	34
Load	21.9	25.4	33	64
(Room and Case were measured with a digital thermometer, Mobo and CPU measured with software)

And like you, the heatsink is cool to the touch. I took the heatsink off, applied my own thermal paste, and reseated it. No change.

Because I plan to overclock, I purchased a Scythe Infinity. We'll see what happens when it gets here tomorrow.

mindstormsguy said:
I just got a e6300 and my temps are crazy.
Code:
	Room	Case	Mobo	CPU
Idle	21.8	25.3	33	34
Load	21.9	25.4	33	64
(Room and Case were measured with a digital thermometer, Mobo and CPU measured with software)

And like you, the heatsink is cool to the touch. I took the heatsink off, applied my own thermal paste, and reseated it. No change.

Because I plan to overclock, I purchased a Scythe Infinity. We'll see what happens when it gets here tomorrow.

Why are you people complaining? I've got a PD950 here at 54C idle, 74C full load. stop bitching, it's not that hot. 34C?

StealthyFish said:
Why are you people complaining? I've got a PD950 here at 54C idle, 74C full load. stop bitching, it's not that hot. 34C?

Mine says its running at 60C, and then jumps to 80C. I know that heatsink is not ~180F when i could keep ice melted on it. (Ok not quite but you get my point) :D :p

StealthyFish said:

Why am I complaining? Because those temps are when the CPU is running below stock volts. 64 degrees C after only 6 minutes of orthos when I'm running below stock volts? Thats not good, and it looks even worse when you compare it to what other people get with the C2D.

If I put the proc up to 2.3 GHz and 1.35 volts it gets well into the 70s after only a couple minutes of orthos. If I were going to overclock this thing to anywhere near what other people do, I would probably burn down my house.

At least your temps make sense 54->74 is easy to comprehend, but how does a proc jump from 34->64 so quickly?

Update: I got my Scythe Infinity and AS5 today. What a difference! With the same testing conditions as before, my CPU hovers around 41 degrees C after 20 minutes of prime. So what's my conclusion? Intel stock coolers suck!

Edit: The above temp and the ones in my previous posts were all taken from speedfan. In TAT I get 44 degrees.

Back