• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU on Stilts for Peltierz

Miszt

n00b
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
31
I am just about to install a new peltier setup, and juz wondered if some one can tell me of any problems they can for-see with what i have done....

I have basically created a new Socket (socket A for my Athlon MP 2400+) which is lifted away from the mainboard, by about 6 inchs, kinda like a cpu-on-stilts, I have then insulated the whole lot right down to the socket, so that the socket doeznt get cold enough for condensation, i just wondered, i have not used gold wires for connecting the 2 sockets together, is this going to effect my performance (noticably) and also will the extra 6 inchez effect the performance (noticably) I am hoping to get this overclocked by about 500Mhz (maybe) I have heard people say they have 2400+ running at 3.02Ghz (will be nice :)...so thatz it basically, with this work well? I ask because I know that the distance to connections in a computer is a big limiting effector with speed. Also what about the risitance of the wires I am using? does that matter? *(I juz thought about that now....uh oh lol)

If anyone thinks this is a good idea and tryz it out, let me know :D I will get back to you all in a few weeks after I have tried it (after your feedback lol)

Thankz :D
 
You may have problems with the extra length of the wire added to the PCB traces - high frequency data signals have little tolerance for altered trace length, and you may find things don't work.

Hope I'm wrong though :)
 
I guess I should contact MSI/.....dammit why dont i have a proffesional micro-electronikz Xpert living with me lol ty :)
 
Sure I will post sum picz online, am bak online in 3 dayz, will post em then :) REALY hope it workz :D
 
That sounds like too much soldering to me:D I would have bought a junk mobo, raid the socket, put stilts on that, then just snap it back into the original socket.

I dont see how this is going to be an advantage to cooling however.. But it would be awesome to relocate the CPU to.. say... the top of the case or something :D

Have you thought about twisted pair cabling? Twist a wire around a grounded wire for added stability?
 
I really have no idea why you are doing this but I can say that it won't work. Motherboards and chips are designed with very small tolerances. When you extend the lines you are increasing the impedence and the whole thing is more succeptible to signal bounce, crosstalk, and interference. If it does happen to boot then the whole thing will be so full of errors from interference then it will be much slower than originally. I am interested to know if it actually somewhat works.
 
Originally posted by killernoodle
That sounds like too much soldering to me:D I would have bought a junk mobo, raid the socket, put stilts on that, then just snap it back into the original socket.

I dont see how this is going to be an advantage to cooling however.. But it would be awesome to relocate the CPU to.. say... the top of the case or something :D

Have you thought about twisted pair cabling? Twist a wire around a grounded wire for added stability?

If it didn't hurt performance, then I'm sure someone would sell some kinda kit by now for just that. I mean, why cool the system, when you can just relocate the processor in a fridge? Hehe.

The closest thing I've seen is a socket-adapter. http://www.friendtech.com/ makes some I think. But they aren't at all close to being 6 inches or whatever. More like a couple millimeters.

But, I say go for it. People told me that my VGA -to- Cat5 (2x) -back to- VGA convertor would never work. But it worked fine with over 150ft of Cat-5 between the system and the monitor (I still have the prototype around here somewhere ..). So by all means, tinker. Tinkering leads to better inventions :)
 
fo shizzlezzz <- I'm just poking fun at your spelling.

I really doubt it will work. Getting solid connections will be hard. Working with 2ghz+ signals is a PITA at the minimum.

I will, however, wish you good luck.
 
I still have yet to see pics... You must post them or we will take your stilts and peltierz idea as bullcrap...

;)
 
erm...i really dont think this will work...

You have extended data lines that carry information at extremely high frequencies...the extensions will basically act like aerials/antenna...they will both pick up noise and generate noise themselves...there is a lot that goes into the design of motherboards and CPU's...all trace lengths are carefully adjusted and accounted for as far as i know...i dont mean to rubbish your idea/plan but i dont think it will work...6inches i a long way when ur talking about CPU signals...also the resistance of the wire used will play a big part...i hope i am wrong and it does work...for all the hard work u have put into it...g'luck
 
make sure you shield the cables really well. that will help with interference and all that. good luck:)
 
Back
Top